When updating a ticket, the following error message appears:
Ticket #____ not saved. A change was made to this ticket as your update was being saved. Try again.
This is a collision error. Collision errors happen when two or more updates try to change a ticket at the same time. Update collisions can be disruptive and cause serious workflow problems.
If an agent sees this error message, something else updated the ticket just before the agent did. The two updates were about to collide, so Zendesk stopped it. The agent will need to re-submit their update.
If it happens at the same time as an agent's update, any update can cause this error. Here are common causes:
- Another agent opens the same ticket and submits their own update.
- An outside service updates the ticket with an API call at the same time the agent Submits the ticket update.
- An installed app submits an update.
- An automation fires on the ticket when the agent updates the ticket.
- A call recording is added at the end of a Talk call
- A chat transcript is added at the end of a Chat or Messaging conversation
- A side conversation is created or updated
It is normal to see this error occasionally in an active account. Update collisions happen at any time from any source.
However, if this error often happens, there may be an issue with a workflow. The first step is figuring out where the update collisions are coming from.
- When the error appears, return to the ticket and check the ticket events
- Look for other updates that happened around the same time
- Gather more examples and look for patterns
Once a pattern has been found, adjust the workflow to minimize update collisions. Every workflow is different.
- Check the ticket events log to see what updated the ticket at the same time as the agent.
- If an app or API script creates a lot of unnecessary updates, consider changing the settings or disabling it
- If agents often update the same tickets at the same time, there may be an issue with agent collision. See this article for more information: troubleshooting agent collision in play mode
- Advise agents to wait a moment between starting a side conversation and updating the ticket
- Advise agents to wait for call recordings or conversation transcripts to appear before they update Talk, Chat, or Messaging tickets.
- Review any routing rules and automated updates that apply right after a ticket is created. These can impact agents who create their own tickets or open new customer tickets very quickly.
- Wait ten seconds before submitting your update again.
For more information, see the article: Troubleshooting agent collision in Play mode.