Note: This tutorial assumes that you are already using Google Analytics and are familiar with the basics of how it works. If you’re new, Google Analytics is a powerful tool that helps you understand and analyze your web traffic. You can easily find good tutorials online explaining how GA works.
Once you’ve copied the Zendesk Chat embed script onto all your webpages, the script will automatically detect if GA is present on your website. If everything is in order, Zendesk Chat will start reporting events to GA automatically.
To access the data on Google Analytics
- Log into your Google Analytics account.
- On the left sidebar, select Behavior > Events > Top Events.
- Under Event Category, select Zendesk Chat.
- The following event actions appear. This high-level overview gives you a rough idea of
how many conversations your agents are handling. With these stats, you can also derive
what percentage of chat requests were eventually handled by your agents:
- Button Clicked: Number of times visitors clicked on the chat widget
- Served by Operator: Number of times visitors chatted with a chat agent
- Chat Request Form Submitted: Number of times a Pre-Chat Form is submitted (if enabled)
- Offline Message Sent: Number of times visitors left offline messages
- Drill down even further by selecting one of the following:
- Served by Operator: Shows a breakdown of your chat agents sorted by the number of conversations they've handled.
- Chat Request Form Submitted: Shows a breakdown of the departments that visitors requested to chat with (available only if you have departments set up).
is it possible to add the event action "Proactive Chat Triggered" (i.e. chat popup expanded without user interaction)?
As of now, it seems not possible to trace this kind of chat if there's no user interaction.
If you follow the steps on Targeting key visitors with proactive chat to create chat triggers for proactive chats, you can add the action Add tags. This way, you'll be able to identify the chats generated through proactive chats by the specific tags you'll designate.
thanks for your feedback.
Actually we already have this in place, but we would like to count those chats on GA and currently it does seems to be possible.
Could you please clarify?
could you please confirm that even if not possible to track proactive chats on GA, is still possible to use Zendesk Explore - Chat Dashboard - with filters on 'chat type' = 'outbound' and 'chat completion' = 'not engaged' in order to have the exact number of proactive chat pop-out without any visitor interaction?
I want to mark Served by Operator as a conversion in Google Ads or Analytics. This is my primary Goal.
Zendesk Chat is not reporting events to GA automatically. How to fix that?
This should be working by default once you have added the widget on your page.
You can also check if there's a script added on your widget related to analytics. For more information, please refer to Chat Analytics.
Please sign in to leave a comment.