Note: Google ended support for Google Analytics Universal on July 1, 2023. Customers on the legacy Chat widget will no longer see events generated from Chat on Google Analytics. Customers need to migrate to the Web Widget (Classic), which supports Google Analytics 4. Learn more about embedding the Web Widget (Classic) on your website. Learn more about what will happen to already processed past data.
Once you’ve copied the Zendesk Chat embed script onto all your webpages, the script will automatically detect if GA is present on your website. If everything is in order, Zendesk Chat will start reporting events to GA automatically.
To access the data on Google Analytics
- Log into your Google Analytics account.
- On the left sidebar, select Behavior > Events > Top Events.
- Under Event Category, select Zendesk Chat.
- The following event actions appear. This high-level overview gives you a rough idea of how many conversations your agents are handling. With these stats, you can also derive what percentage of chat requests were eventually handled by your agents:
- Button Clicked: Number of times visitors clicked on the chat widget
- Served by Operator: Number of times visitors chatted with a chat agent
- Chat Request Form Submitted: Number of times a Pre-Chat Form is submitted (if enabled)
- Offline Message Sent: Number of times visitors left offline messages
- Drill down even further by selecting one of the following:
- Served by Operator: Shows a breakdown of your chat agents sorted by the number of conversations they've handled.
- Chat Request Form Submitted: Shows a breakdown of the departments that visitors requested to chat with (available only if you have departments set up).