Side conversations are spaces in a ticket where agents can have a conversation with a specific group of people, or discuss a specific area of concern or course of action. Side conversations are available in email, Slack, and in tickets as child tickets.
As an alternative, you can use side conversations in a ticket to initiate and participate in Microsoft Teams threads in channels. The Microsoft Teams side conversations you initiate can be viewed in the ticket and the Microsoft Teams application. Like email, Slack conversations, and child tickets, Microsoft Teams side conversation messages are recorded as ticket events. You can also use them as trigger conditions.
Creating a side conversation using Microsoft Teams
You can create a side conversation with Microsoft Teams from within Support.
To create a side conversation using Microsoft Teams
- In a ticket, click the Side Conversations plus sign (+) in the upper-left.
- Select Microsoft Teams as the conversation
- Enter the Microsoft Teams’ team, channel, and your message. You
can also add ticket comments.
For more information about the composer, see Rich text editing in the side conversation composer.
You can start a side conversation in one team and channel at a time. You can't combine Microsoft Teams, Slack, and email conversations.
If you have a lot of teams and channels, it may take a few moments to display the list. The Team appears before the channel address, for example, Team 1 - General, Team 2 - General, and so on.
- When you’ve finished composing your message, click Send.
Anyone in the Microsoft Teams channel can view your message and reply to the thread directly, without logging into Zendesk Support.
Microsoft Teams replies are automatically included in the ticket’s side conversation. The conversation can continue back and forth, as long as necessary, until you get the information you need.
- When the side conversation is complete, click Done.Note: This action is not reflected in the Microsoft Teams application.
Adding attachments to a Microsoft Teams side conversation
You can add attachments to a side conversation from the Microsoft Teams application by using the bot that appears at the beginning of a conversation. Using the bot allows attachments to appear in both Support and Microsoft Teams.
To add attachments to side conversations from Microsoft Teams
- In Microsoft Teams, open a side conversation.
- Scroll up to the beginning of the conversation where the bot
- Click Click here and upload the file you want to
- Click Upload files.
About limitations and breaking the link between Support and Microsoft Teams
- Deleting messages: You can’t delete a message from a Microsoft Teams side conversation.
- Attachments: Attachments sent directly in the Microsoft Teams side conversation do not appear in the ticket’s side conversation in Support. Likewise, attachments sent directly in Support do not appear in the Microsoft Teams side conversation. For attachments to appear in both Support and Microsoft Teams, see Adding attachments to a Microsoft Teams side conversation.
The following Microsoft Teams features are not supported:
- Direct messages
As a workaround, the administrator can set up separate channels with only one member (for example, “Team Finance Experts – Support”) and add the Zendesk for Microsoft Teams app to this team.
- Microsoft Teams @mentions
- Emoji reactions
- Typing indicators
If the link breaks between Zendesk and Microsoft Teams (for example, an admin removes the Zendesk app from a Microsoft Teams channel or archives or deletes a Microsoft Teams channel that you used for side conversations), you can still open and view these side conversations in a ticket, but you can no longer use that Microsoft Teams channel to send or receive updates to side conversations.