|October 10, 2023
|October 30, 2023
We’re excited to announce that starting October 30, 2023 custom ticket statuses will start gradually being activated for accounts using the Zendesk Agent Workspace. This is a phased rollout that will continue through Q2 2024.
We encourage you to try custom ticket statuses before your account is automatically upgraded so that you can familiarize yourself with the changes.
This announcement includes the following topics:
What is changing?
Previously, your Zendesk account offered only six standard ticket statuses — New, Open, Pending, On-hold, Solved, and Closed.
After custom ticket statuses are activated, you'll see the following changes in your account:
- The existing standard statuses become status categories, in which you can create new, custom ticket statuses. Existing statuses are still available and remain the default statuses for each respective status category unless changed.
- Your existing workflows and business rules that use standard statuses will continue to work as expected after custom ticket status activation.
The ticket status conditions and actions in your existing triggers, automations, macros, and views are automatically updated to the new status categories that correspond to the original standard ticket statuses.
- Previously, the On-hold status appeared as Open to end users. We heard your feedback and now you can create custom statuses in the On-hold status category to provide more transparency to your customers.
- An enhanced Views page that displays a ticket status column. You'll also see the custom ticket statuses that correspond to each category in views and in the interactions section of the customer context panel.
- Tickets in the closed state will retain the ticket's solved status. Closed tickets in a view can be identified by the closed () icon in the subject column. Retaining the solved ticket status helps provide more context about how or why a ticket was solved. See Solving a ticket with a custom status.
- When you create custom statuses, agents can select them in the status picker in the ticket interface:
- After you create custom ticket statuses, they can be used in triggers, automations, SLAs, macros, views, and more.
- You can use custom ticket status attributes to build Explore reports and create and manage custom statuses with the Zendesk Support API.
Why is Zendesk making this change?
Zendesk introduced custom ticket statuses in January 2023 as a response to the customer feedback we received. To help you take advantage of our latest innovations, we're taking the next step of activating this feature for all eligible customers so that you can further customize your account by creating new ticket statuses that are more meaningful to your business.
Custom ticket statuses provide more flexibility and information about a ticket’s status beyond the existing standard statuses. This results in increased transparency, communication, and collaboration between agents working on a ticket, as well as with end users who want to better understand the status of their support request.
What do I need to do?
You don't need to do anything. When custom ticket statuses are activated in your account, you’ll be able to start creating new statuses immediately.