If you have Chat enabled in your Web Widget and want to optimize for page performance, you can consider using the connectOnPageLoad api. This should decrease the time taken to display the widget launcher and improve page load scores in tools like Google Lighthouse. Learn more.
What is the best tool to monitor page load speed for my website?
We recommend using Google’s Lighthouse tool that is available by default in the audit tab of developer tools. Lighthouse has very good coverage of new features available in modern web browsers like Google Chrome. We rely on features like HTTP/2 multiplexing to optimise the Web Widget and Lighthouse will take multiplexing into account when calculating the performance of a web page with the Widget embedded.
Yes, the Web Widget assets are individually versioned and long-term cached for up to a year. They’re cached both privately on end-user browsers, and publicly on CDN edge servers. Some assets required for the Widget are unlikely to change between Widget versions, and will be cached independently. This means those assets will be retrieved faster from cache the next time the browser needs them. For example, the country code flag icons utilised in Talk, or the notification sounds associated with Chat.
We’re currently prioritising investment in performance and expect to deliver some major improvements throughout 2020.
- As a first step, we recently released the connectOnPageLoad setting to enable you to optimize for performance when you have Chat enabled. Learn more.
- We’ve created a smaller set of core Web Widget assets and started to optimise the way the Web Widget loads so that your customers only download the parts of the Web Widget that they are actively using.
What's still to come?
- We’re making progress on code-splitting, so that only UI assets for the channels you have enabled are sent to the browser. We have already split Talk, Help Center, and Support are working next on Chat and Answer Bot.
- We’re reducing the amount of time it takes for the Web Widget launcher to display by decoupling it from other assets.
- Further optimisations to the way that Talk loads within the widget, plus more.
Please sign in to leave a comment.