I’ve been using the GitHub integration for Guide for basically every client we work for.
Great feature since it allows
- multiple people to work on the theme together
- we can have a staging area in a seperate brand for development looking at a different repository branch.
- deploy the same theme across multiple brands with the customization GUI in Guide Admin allowing for logo’s and color changes.
One thing I miss is the ability to automatically deploy theme updates upon commit to a branch.
Currently when merging a pull request back into Master it requires me to go to Zendesk and manually deploy the change. Often to a couple of brands at the same time.
(Often this results in an error since I forgot to update the manifest.json version number, but that’s another bag of hurt)
But I’d love the following flow:
- Guide has a GitHub repo linked in the Master Branch
- Develop in a new branch for changes
- When done it’s merged into Master
- Zendesk detects a commit to the branch and automatically updates the Theme
Is anyone else using the GitHub flow actively? How do you handle branches and deployments?
Please sign in to leave a comment.