Back up your Help Center articles at the click of a button!
Let me introduce you to kBackup! This little app will allow you to back up your help centre content at the click of a button to your local hard drive.
Using this app makes backing up your help centre content a breeze.
The app currently has a number of features and may be expanded to include additional features if the demand is there.
- The app will back up your help centres or web portals content to a specified folder as HTML pages in the format of [ArticleId].html. The app will first verify that the user exists in the given Zendesk domain. This is included for security reasons so only users who exist in the domain can back up the content.
- The app will work for any Zendesk help centre or web portal even if you chose to use the Host Mapping feature as the original Zendesk subdomain will still exist, regardless of what you have currently set as your hostname.
- Using the app to back up your help centre or web portal content is completely safe and will not affect any existing data, it will simply take a copy of it so there is no possibility for data loss during the process.
There are some requirements for using this app that need to be met in order for it to function correctly. I've included these requirements below:
- This program is compatible with Windows only.
- Please note that SSO sign-in and 2FA is not currently supported. A Zendesk account that was created and is managed within Zendesk is required.
- Your user must have ‘Password Access’ to the API enabled in Zendesk. You can do this by going to Settings > Channels (Subsection) > API and enabling ‘Password Access’.
- The app requires Microsoft.Net Framework 4.6 or higher to be installed on the Windows PC or Laptop where it’s being run, this version of the .NET Framework can be downloaded here.
- I recommend running the app as Administrator to avoid any permission issues backing up to your selected backup location. This can be done by right-clicking the kBackup.exe and selecting ‘Run as administrator’.
To get started with backing up your help centre content ensure that you have met the requirements above, then go ahead and follow the steps below:
- Download a copy of the app here
- Extract the downloaded kBackup.zip file to your Desktop
- Right click the app and select 'Run as administrator’
- Enter your Zendesk subdomain into the Domain field
- Enter your Zendesk users email into the Email field
- Enter your Zendesk users’ password into the Password field
- Select your Portal Type from the drop-down
- Select the Backup button
- Browse for a folder where you would like to back up your content and select Ok
After you have selected a folder and clicked Ok the backup process will begin and you will receive a notification letting you know when the backup is complete.
Download kBackup here!
Release notes have been moved into ReleaseNotes.txt which is now included in the download package.
Giving Feedback & Reporting Bugs
For any feedback, feature & functionality requests or bugs you may have come across please leave a reply here or email me at felix.stubner(at)gmail(dot)com and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
If kBackup has helped you and you want to show your appreciation feel free to click on the little up arrow on this post to up vote it. Thanks for your support!
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
If kBackup has helped you, please consider up-voting this post by clicking the up arrow below. This will help other users to find the post more easily. Thank you!
Hi Marc Spaeth,
Thanks for reaching out. Backing up multiple languages is something I've made possible in a newer build that is not public yet.
Please reach out to me by email at felix(dot)stubner(at)gmail(dot)com and I'd be happy to share this with you.
Thank you for sharing the new build. To have the ability to backup multiple languages (We have 14 languages and about 600 articles) was exactly what I was looking for. And is a life saver!
When I start using the backup tool, it will back up about 20 articles before running into this error each time. Is this an known issue that you are aware of? I am using an Admin profile, running the app as an admin.
Felix Stubner We've received the same "Startindex" error as iQmetrix We also have multiple languages to back up. Also running an Admin profile, with the app as an admin. Any ideas?
Hi Katrina Greeves thank you for reaching out, I have responded by email.
Apologies for missing your response iQmetrix. Please reach out to me by email and I'd be happy to share the updated build.
Felix Stubner I also have the same issue, could you please help me with your latest release as well ?
Yannick D. thank you for reaching out. I have responded to your email.
First and foremost excellent contribution that you have given us. It is what I need to be able to make the backup
Second, I have the same problem as Michael
How can I solve it?
AND FROM ALREADY THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Hi Cristian, thanks for reaching out! I have not updated the version available here yet, but please reach out via email to felix(dot)stubner(at)gmail(dot)com I'd be happy to share it with you. Others have reported the new version to resolve their issues.
Hi! It's a great app, thank you for that! I was able to back up the source content in Help Center but I cannot see the translations. I was wondering if we can possibly back up the translations as well? Thank you!
Hi Sila Erol, thank you for your message and for giving kBackup a try! I have a newer version of the app available, but it is still in beta phase at the moment. It supports authentication with an API token and also the ability to export multiple languages. Please feel free to reach out via felix(dot)stubner(at)gmail(dot)com and I'd be happy to share this version with you. I look forward to your message.
Hi Felix, can you imagine why I can't use kbackup?
The credentials we used are definitely correct.
Axel Weber Thanks for reaching out! I'm afraid I don't know what could be the issue without further investigation. However, I have a newer version available that I can share via email (please feel free to reach out to me) which uses a combination of email and API Token to authenticate. This has proven effective for these types of issues and was developed as a workaround for users that used SSO. Alternatively, if you'd like to check back in a couple of days, I will be updating the download link to point to the latest version soon.
Hello, thanks for the app. It works perfectly but It seems that only de Help Center linked to the main zendesk domain is backed up...
How can I save the other Helpcenters, for all the different Brands I have ?
Thanks for helping me
I guess you've got the same domain for the different brands.
For example, if you've got 3 languages (English, Italian, French) for the Company TOTO, I guess your 3 URLs are similar to:
- toto.zendesk.com/hc/en-us (or support.toto.com/hc/en-us)
Then once connected to kBackup, just use the arrow linked to the field 'Languages' to watch the complete available languages and select the one you need (see attached screenshot for example if this the point you need).
Please sign in to leave a comment.