Note: This post describes the installation and configuration process for the Slack for Zendesk Support Early Access Program release. For documentation about the general release, see Understanding and installing the Slack for Zendesk Support integration.
With the Built by Zendesk integration Slack for Zendesk Support, ticket submissions and status changes appear as notifications in specified Slack channels. You can also create new tickets directly from Slack.
After you have been added to the EAP, you can install the Slack for Zendesk integration.
This post covers the following:
During the EAP, the Slack for Zendesk Support integration allows you to do the following, from within your Slack instance:
- Create Support tickets from Slack
- Receive notifications about ticket creation and updates
For information on these features, see Using the Slack for Zendesk integration.
Installing the integration
To install the Slack for Zendesk integration
- Log in to your company Slack workspace.
- Go to http://slack.zendesk-integrations.com/slack/install.
- Click Continue.
- On the Install page, select the channel rules you want to apply.
Note: We recommend you select All Public Channels, which simplifies the post-installation configuration process. You can select specific channels at that time.
- Click Install.
- Enter your Zendesk subdomain, accept the terms and conditions, and click Next.
Configuring the integration
Once the installation is complete, you'll be taken to Slack, and can begin the configuration process.
To set up channel notifications
- Once the installation is complete (as described above), you’ll be taken to your Slack account, and will receive a direct message from the integration. Click Get started.
Next, complete the three-step flow to configure channel notifications:
- Using the Select an option drop-down menu, select a channel to configure - you can scroll through the Channels list, or type a channel name to filter your options - then click Done.
Only channels that the Zendesk app has been invited too will appear in this drop-down. To invite the app to additional channels, you can follow one of two methods:
- In a direct message conversation with the Zendesk app, click on the cog. Add this app to a channel, then select the channel from the drop-down box; or
- In the desired channel, type /invite @Zendesk and give the app the requested permissions.
- Second, using the Select notification drop-down menu, select a the types of notifications you want to receive in this channel. You can select multiple notifications. When you’ve selected your notifications, click Done.
- Lastly, map specific Zendesk Support groups to the Slack channel. This routes tickets to the right Slack channel. Support groups are used to categorize tickets, and restrict agent access based on group membership. By mapping groups to channels, administrators can ensure only relevant ticket events are posted to channels, and can exclude groups that have tickets with sensitive data.
- Click Done
Now, you can:
- Configure another channel by clicking Add channel, and following the steps described above.
- Edit a channel by clicking Edit existing settings.
- Leave feedback on the integration, by clicking Provide feedback.
- Begin using the integration.