What is the expected behavior for chat sessions to time out?
The visitor is in control of the chat session, and can end the chat session in one of three ways:
- Going to the options menu and hitting end chat will immediately end the session.
- In the event the visitor closes the browser (no windows with the chat widget are open) the session will timeout within a timeframe of 20 seconds to 2 minutes.
- In the event that the visitor idles* on a site with the widget their session will stay open for 20 minutes before the session is automatically ended.
*Idle status is defined as no mouse or keyboard input on the site for 10 minutes. The user does not need to interact with the widget itself, but must be actively working on the page the widget is loaded on. Additionally, there can be a variance of up to 5 minutes depending on their connection to Chat.
The chat session is still considered active unless it's ended by one of these reasons. An agent can leave a chat session, but it would stay open from the visitor side until one of the above conditions is met.
If the end user chats in again after an agent leaves, it will pop back into the queue. In these cases, the history of their previous chat will be present because it’s still considered the same chat session. Any subsequent messages will be added to the chat session, and once ended is added to the history as a single entry.
For the Chat SDK versions, the chat session terminates after any of the following conditions:
- There has been no activity on the chat for 1 hour, or
- The visitor has been disconnected for an hour, or
- The agent ends the chat, at which point the session disconnect timeout is reset to 5 minutes
- The visitor ends the chat at which time the session immediately terminates