Is it possible to automate the routing of calls to a particular phone number depending on the time of day? For example would it be possible to have calls routed differently outside of business hours, for an on-call/after hours team?
- Must have Talk Professional or Talk Enterprise.
- Must have a Team, Professional or Enterprise Support plan.
There is no way to automatically route calls based on a specific set of "business hours" that are setup within Zendesk. Talk is set up so you can apply one set of "business hours" schedule to a phone number. Talk is also set up to automatically route calls to voicemail if a call is received outside of the applied schedule.
This means if you have a schedule setup for your business hours, within Zendesk (ex. 8:00am - 5:00pm) and apply that schedule to a specific Talk number, any calls that are received outside of this schedule will be routed straight to voicemail for that number.
You can read more about this here:
- Setting your schedule with business hours and holidays (Professional and Enterprise)
- Using multiple schedules for Zendesk Talk (Enterprise and Advanced Talk only)
Talk about your business hours in your IVR greeting: This is by far the simplest workaround. You can update your greeting to include a message about your business hours, indicating something to the effect of, "Our normal business hours are 8-5, if you're calling outside this timeframe and need immediate assistance, please press 3". From there, you can have that number route to a different number or forward the call to an external number. Below are some resources to assist with setting this up:
- Managing outgoing greetings: Creating a custom greeting
- Route incoming calls with IVR (Talk Professional or Enterprise)