Merge ticket as side conversation
I usually use side conversations for internal communication, and the main thread for external communication. When someone from the organization ask for an update (or provide info) that goes into Zendesk, I would like to merge that ticket as a side conversation on the existing ticket with the client.
Hi Morten, we don't have immediate plans for this, but it's definitely something we've thought about for a future update. So, to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you'd want to have some sort of option in the merge ticket dialog that lets you add it as a child ticket side conversation under the other ticket rather than a full merge? Or are you thinking of a different approach?
I´m not exactly sure what a child ticket is, but probably yes.
It´s not merged into the exiting communication in the ticket, but separated as a side conversations of some sort.
Yes, something like that. I´ve only breifly looked into child tickets, but it sounds like it.
This would be such a major improvement, being able to merge a ticket as a side conversation to a ticket.
We see multiple Zendesk instances where there is need for this, in mostly two situations:
- The vendor emails customer support, where customer support needs to start up a ticket with the customer as requester. You would like to add the initial vendor email as a side conversation to that ticket.
- Where vendors email customer support which was started as a side conversation (and the vendor changes subject or other improper email handling, I do understand the cause partial lays outside Zendesk, but would be awesome if it can be solved this way)
Roy Landman so i understand, are you referring to taking an existing vendor email e.g. in your Outlook, and then turning that email into a side conversation? Or is it an existing ticket that would then be added as a child ticket side conversation to the ticket that you'd create for the customer?
As for the second point, do you mean when they email improperly and a new ticket is created, merging that into an existing ticket as a child ticket side conversation?
Toby Sterrett I mean a vendor that created a normal ticket via channel that could be email, but also ticket form, chat (doesn't matter, the case is the same) and add that ticket as an email side conversation to another ticket. The reason why this should be an email side conversation is that the vendor is not part of your Zendesk agents (so creating a child ticket has no function, as this is normally being used for a partial responsibility or task fulfillment for another ZD department/agent not an external party).
Not every ticket is being grouped properly into the same conversation, so mostly due to improper handling of email outside Zendesk by customers/vendors. But the main reason is the first one.
Ok, thanks for the added detail, Roy Landman! That's an interesting scenario, as it means we'd essentially have to:
- Provide a way to initiate converting a ticket into a side conversation
- Let agent choose which type of side conversation if more than one channel is active
- Take the ticket's original info and process it into a new email side conversation
- Solve the original ticket out (I assume this is preferable to deletion in case something doesn't work right)
That seems doable, but kinda tricky to get right.
One other interesting aspect is since side conversations are usually initiated by an agent or the system, we'd use the person who initiates this conversion as the creator and participant of the side conversation?
Thanks again for the thoughts, curious to hear your thoughts on the above.
We have a customer that would be extremely interested in this functionality, exactly as you have detailed it in your response above. Do you think it likely and if so, what would be the possible time frame?