As you work with potential customers (your leads), at some point you will want to convert them from a lead to a contact. That is, you have progressed the opportunity through the sales pipeline and the lead has become a qualified lead.
When you convert a lead to a contact, you can simply convert the lead into a contact, you can also create a new deal for the converted lead, and create a task for the converted lead, (for example, prompting you to follow up with them).
To convert a lead to a contact
- In Sell, click the Leads icon (), then click the lead you want to convert.
- Click Convert.
- Update the lead’s profile information as needed.
(Optional) You can also create a new deal or task by selecting the checkbox for Create a deal for the converted lead or Create a task for each converted lead.
- Click Convert.
You can also convert multiple leads at one time using either the Index or Table views on the Leads page.
To convert leads in bulk
- In Sell, click the Leads icon (), then click the check box next to the name of the leads that you want to convert.
- When you have selected all of the leads or contacts that you want to convert, click Convert at the top of the list.
- You will see a dialog similar to the one for converting a single lead. You won’t have the option to edit the lead name and company. (Optional) You can create a new deal or task by selecting the checkbox for Create a deal for the converted lead or Create a task for each converted lead.
- Click Convert.
Your leads are converted to contacts and if you add any new deals and tasks, then they are included on the contact card of the lead. New deals are classified as Incoming in your sales pipeline.
The following conditions and rules apply when converting leads to contacts:
- A lead’s tags are handled in the following ways:
- When you convert a lead, their tags are also added to the new contact card and the new deal card, (if you had chosen that option).
- If you chose to also add a deal when converting, the lead’s tags are added to the Tags tab in the Prospects and Customers settings page.
- If you did not create a deal when converting a lead, then their tags are only added to the Tags tab in the Contacts settings page.
- If you change a contact from a prospect or customer back to a regular contact, no tags are removed, (all tags remain).
- If you have allowed it, when you convert a lead to a contact, your custom fields are also transferred into the new contact card. You can define this when you set up the custom field, see: Creating and managing custom fields.
- When you convert multiple leads in bulk and choose to also create a new deal, the new deal is named after the lead’s name. You can edit the deal to update the name as needed.
- Converting a lead to a contact is a one way action in Sell. You cannot convert contacts back to leads. However, if you have accidentally converted a lead to a contact, then you have several options for undoing the conversion. For more information, see: Converting a contact back to a lead.
- When a lead is converted to a contact, the lead source field is not converted along with the other data. If you want to retain that data, store it in another field or create a deal when converting a lead to a contact so that the source field transfers to the deal and is not lost.
- A lead's notes are handled in the following ways:
- When you convert a lead person to a company person, the notes on the lead person go to the company person.
- When you convert a lead company to a contact company, the notes on the lead company go to the contact company.