How can I configure the Web Widget (Classic) on my help center to only offer chat to VIP customers instead of all visitors?
To offer chat support through the Web Widget (Classic) to specific users, follow one of the methods described in this article. Click each of the tabs below to switch between each method.
Method 1: Use a hyperlink to navigate to the chat page directly
This method is less technical than method 2 but still requires some setup in your help center and Web Widget (Classic) settings.
- Create a user segment that contains all your VIP users.
- In your help center, create a category, section, and article. Set the article permissions so that it is only visible to that specific user segment.
Follow the steps below to create a link that opens a Chat window in a new browser tab.
- Generate a chat link. See the article: Can I create a direct link to a live chat popout window instead of using the widget?
- In the article, add a line that says Click here to chat.
This article and link will serve as your VIP customers' method to open live chat. If you leave the live chat function disabled in the Web Widget (Classic), your other users will see the Web Widget (Classic), but only your VIP customers can access the link through the article to chat with you.
Method 2: Leverage the API to identify a user's organization and suppress the chat function when necessary
This method is more technical and requires adding custom code to your widget script. If you are not familiar with creating custom code and API calls, you may need to enlist the help of a web developer to use this method.
- Use the identify API to capture the user's organization information.
- Use the suppress feature in the Web Widget (Classic) API to either hide or show the widget based on the user's organization name
For more information, see the developer documentation: Restrictions and Responsibilities.