You can set up fields that are mandatory (required) so that they are always completed when creating or editing leads, contacts, and deals.
You need admin rights to configure required fields.
This article covers the following topics:
Understanding required fields
To create new leads, contacts, or deals you typically fill out information like company name, person name, and email. Required fields help you gain control over which fields should be mandatory to fill out in order when a record is created. You can also implement required fields to be completed when a deal moves to certain stages of your pipeline.
Tracking more information around the prospects and customers you're selling to provides more accuracy to sales reports. For example, requiring reps to assign:
- Source in order to create a lead increases visibility into marketing effectiveness insights
- Industry in order to close a deal enhances analysis of conversion rates or sales cycles. For example, you might find that your conversion rates are twice as high in a particular industry or maybe that sales cycles are significantly longer in another industry. Use data around your prospects to better understand where to concentrate efforts
- Estimated Close Date when creating deals helps with sales forecast predictions and gives better insight into how much revenue in your pipeline will actually close
Making common fields like email address, phone number, or address mandatory when creating a lead will instantly build a fuller profile. Establishing better quality data around your prospects and customers helps with understanding your sales cycle, market needs, and clientele.
Configuring required fields
Required fields are configured in Settings > Business Rules > Field Rules. You'll see tabs for leads, contacts, and deals.
To set required fields for lead, contact, or deal creation
Determine which fields need to be filled out in order for users to create a new lead, contact, or deal in Sell. You can make default fields, such as Email or Deal Value mandatory, as well as any of the custom fields you’ve created.
To set required fields for deal stage changes
Determine which deal information should be filled out in order for deals to be moved into certain stages of your pipeline.
- Click the Settings icon (), then select Business Rules > Field Rules, and click Deals.
- Select Add Rule.
- Select which deal stage you want to configure a required field for.
- Click the pencil icon to choose the required fields.
- Click Save.
I am not able to make the checkbox field required, Is there any way to make it required or default set it to true.
I have tried using drop down menu as suggested to replace the checkbox. We set it as a mandatory field with "yes" as an only option. But in the ticket it shows "-" by default where customer can still submit it without selecting Yes.
Any idea how to fix this issue?
It looks like this will need a bit more investigation so I have opened a ticket for you where we can have a closer look.
Hi, the article mentions
However, there's no default field industry in deals.
Once you are on the deals tab, you can try to go to +Field and search for it.
Charlotte and Carol - did you ever get a solution to this issue? We need the ability to require someone to answer yes to a dropdown (or be required to check a checkbox), but because the default is '-', they can submit without choosing 'yes' even though it's the only answer.
Thank you so much for the detailed post. I was looking for some solutions on these fields. Here i got the solution.
Olá Gailm tudo bem?
Conseguiu algum retorno sobre o campo obrigatório preenchido com "-" ?
Please sign in to leave a comment.