Result path calculations are a quick way to change how your results are presented without creating any calculations. The calculation processes each metric result (sometimes known as an element) in turn based on a pattern you specify.
The result path calculation replaces your original metric results with the manipulated results. If you want to include both results, you can create a new standard calculated metric with only your metric as the formula. You can then apply the result path calculation to only one metric, so your report contains both the original and manipulated results.
To create a new result path calculation
- In the result manipulation menu (), select Result path calculation.
- On the Result path calculation panel, all metrics currently added to the Metrics panel are displayed.
- From the Pattern drop-down list for the metric you want to recalculate, choose a pattern for the calculation.
Choose from the following patterns:
- None: Does not apply any calculation to each result.
- % of total: Calculates the percentage each result contributes to the total.
- Difference: Calculates the change in number against the chosen reference point.
- % of difference: Calculates the change in percentage against the chosen reference element.
- %: Calculates results as the percentage of the chosen reference element. By default, the percentage is a whole number. You can change this on the Chart configuration > Display format panel.
- Running total: Calculates the cumulative results, by default on SUM. The aggregator can be switched to AVG, MIN, or MAX.
- Replace empty cells: Specifies the result to carry forwards to the next non-empty cell.
- Rank: Displays the results ranked in concurrent (1,2,2,4), dense (1,2,2,3), or single order (1,2,3,4). Concurrent and dense both group values with the same result, but concurrent will skip the next ranking number. Single will assign each value a unique ranking number.
- Percentile: Calculates the percentile of the results across the series. This pattern is useful for tracking changes in results over time.
- After you select a pattern, you can select your Path. Your path indicates how the calculation is computed.
- Depending on which pattern you chose, you may need to select additional settings:
- Reference: The result from which a calculation is computed.
- Ranking method: Used only with the Rank pattern. Lets you choose the distribution of the ranking.
- Aggregation: Used only with the Running total pattern. Defines how the data queried by a metric is calculated. For more information, see Choosing metric aggregators.
Starting point: Used only with the Running total pattern. Defines whether the running total is calculated based on the first element or the last element in the report.
- When you're finished creating your calculation, click Apply.
The recalculated results are shown in your report.
I tried many options and can't find how to get % instead of numbers in the table like this (I need % of each metric, as opposed to SUM of values per month).
Hi Andrei Kamarouski, you'd likely need to create a standard calculated metric and then alter the display format to do this. Here's a recipe that does something similar and hopefully will help you get started:
Actually, I ended up building standard metrics for each KPI. But my question is if there is any way to use RPC for getting % of total for each of 3 metrics used which should give me 100% as a result. I know how to do it for 1 metric that is sliced by attribute, but what about 3 metrics without attributes?
Hi Andrei Kamarouski, I don't think you can do this, but it might be worth asking the question in the Explore Q&A section in case someone there has a clever way of doing this. Thanks!
Please sign in to leave a comment.