The Outlook integration allows Outlook users with or without a Zendesk account to copy email contents to a new ticket in Zendesk without leaving the Outlook application.
In this article, we discuss:
- Requirements for setting up the integration
- Installing and configuring the integration
- Deleting the integration
- Frequently asked questions
Requirements for setting up the integration
The integration setup should be done in the Exchange Center admin by the administrator of your Microsoft organization, to ensure that any tickets created are sent to the correct Zendesk subdomain for your organization. Additionally, to set up the integration, you must:
- Have an Office 365
- Have permissions to install Outlook add-ins.
- Be a Zendesk administrator.
- *If you are using an on-premise exchange server, please consult with Microsoft support to configure the server to ensure that the add-in will work
Installing and configuring the integration
Before you can use the Outlook integration, you must perform the following tasks:
- Install the Zendesk add-in to Outlook.
- Configure the Zendesk add-in.
- Set up the integration.
To install the Zendesk add-in
- Open Office 365, and click on the Admin panel.
- In the left sidebar menu, select Admin and click Exchange.
- In the Organization section, click on add-ins.
- Click on the plus symbol and select Add from the Office Store.
- Click on Zendesk to select the add-in, then click Add.
- Return to the add-in list and double-click Zendesk Add-in.
This installs the Zendesk add-in from the Microsoft Store.
To configure the Zendesk add-in
- Open Outlook and select an email.
- Click the Zendesk add-in.
- Make sure the following options are selected:
- Make this add-in available to users in your organization
- Mandatory, always enabled. Users can't disable this add-in
- Go to your Outlook desktop application and click the Zendesk button on the upper-right part of the screen.
- Click Create Ticket.
You should see and error message with a link to set up the integration
To set up the integration
- In the error message described above, click the Set Up Now link. You will be redirected to the integration setup page.
- Enter your subdomain, then click Authorize.
- Complete the setup and return to Outlook
- Close the add-in and reopen it again
- Click the Create Ticket Button. You should see that a ticket is successfully created in Zendesk
Deleting the integration
Go to https://outlook.zendesk-integrations.com/account, enter your Zendesk subdomain and click delete.
Frequently Asked Questions
I successfully completed the integration setup but it still shows setup now in the add-in window?
Close the add-in window by clicking on the add-in and reopen it by clicking it again. This will refresh the add-in and will enable you to create a ticket successfully.
The add-in is integrated with the wrong Zendesk subdomain. How can I change it?
Go to https://outlook.zendesk-integrations.com/account, enter your Zendesk subdomain and click delete. Once deleted, you can setup the integration again with the new subdomain
When I click "View in Zendesk" I’m asked to log in but I don’t have credentials. How can I view the ticket in Zendesk?
Only employees in your organization with a Zendesk account can view tickets inside Zendesk. Request a Zendesk account from your organization’s Zendesk admin to view the ticket inside Zendesk.
How many Zendesk accounts can be connected to Outlook?
There is a 1:1 limitation for this integration.