Zendesk offers several AI-powered features that help agents be more productive while still providing a high level of customer service. These features, which harness generative AI powered by OpenAI’s Enterprise GPT, include:
- Summarization: Recaps the comments that have been added to a ticket so far, helping agents get up to speed and respond to customers more quickly.
- Enhancing: Automatically improves the content of agent-written comments in
- Expand: Adds additional language to the content of the agent’s comment.
- Make more friendly: Changes the tone of an agent’s comment so that it sounds more conversational.
- Make more formal: Changes the tone of an agent’s comment so that it sounds more professional.
Currently, these features are available in English only. The Enhancing feature works on any channel within Agent Workspace, but the Summarization feature does not currently work on messaging channels.
This article contains the following topics:
Activating ticket summarization and enhancing
Administrators can turn on the summarization and enhancing features in Admin Center.
To turn on summarization and enhancing
- In Admin Center, click Workspaces in the sidebar, then select Agent tools > Generative AI.
- Select Turn on generative AI.
- Click Save.
Summarizing a ticket
Agents can quickly get up to speed with a ticket by using the summarize feature to recap all the public comments that have been added to the ticket so far. Internal notes are not included in the summary.
To summarize a ticket
- To summarize a ticket, do one of the following:
- In the Agent Workspace, click Summarize in the banner that
appears at the top of the ticket.
Open Intelligence () in the context panel and click Generate summary.
- In the Agent Workspace, click Summarize in the banner that appears at the top of the ticket.
In the Intelligence panel, the Summary section shows a recap of all the comments in the ticket so far. The date below the summary tells you when the summary was last updated.
Expanding a comment you're composing
Agents can use the expand feature in the composer to save time while responding to a customer.
For example, say an agent types:
- "Sorry to hear, products are checked so damage happened in shipping. Replacement model sent urgently with different company. Gift included in package."
The Expand option might change this text to:
- "Hi <customer name>, I'm sorry to hear that. Our products are checked before leaving the warehouse so the damage must have happened during shipping. I dispatched a replacement model with expedited shipping and a different shipping company. There will be a small gift in the package to make up for these unfortunate events. Thank you, <agent name>."
To expand a comment
- In the composer, type the main ideas of your reply.
- Select the text you want to expand on. If you don’t select any text, the entire reply is expanded on.
- Click the Enhance writing icon () and select Expand.
The system uses AI to generate additional text that fleshes out the reply.
- Read through the expanded text to verify that it says what you want to say.
- Click Submit to update the ticket with the expanded reply.
Changing the tone of a comment you're composing
Agents can change the tone of their comment to make it either more conversational or more professional, depending on the tone dictated by your company’s brand.
For example, say an agent types: “We will do our best to assist you.”
- The Make more friendly option might change this text to: “We’re here to help!”
- The Make more formal option might change this text to: “Please do not hesitate to reach out if you require any further assistance.”
To change the tone of a comment
- In the composer, type your reply.
- Select the text you want to change the tone for. If you don’t select any text, the tone of the entire reply is changed.
- Click the Enhance writing icon () and select one of the following options:
- Make more friendly: Changes the tone to be more conversational.
- Make more formal: Changes the tone to be more professional.
The system uses AI to update the text so that the tone is either more conversational or more professional.
- Read through the updated text to verify that it says what you want to say.
- Click Submit to update the ticket with the updated reply.
Best announcement of the day 🙌
Will this be can help like knowledge to search for solution in KB based on summary?
Can chat gpt come for answer bot widget combination to search on helpcenter?
Can access to the features be limited by agents role levels?
Also, any plans for the summaries to be exportable or otherwise incorporated in Explore? For example, when digging into a major ticket driver in Explore, could I add something like "AI Summary" alongside the "Ticket ID, Ticket Subject, Assignee" fields?
The latter would be a huge time saver in pulling insights from tickets. (Even better, in future I'd love to see the ability to select a group of tickets and ask the AI to summarize common themes, but I'll wait my turn for that one...)
I am just wondering weather or not this feature has a potential risk to expose the internal ticket conversation to the public. As you know, the ticket has very sensitive private information. If ChatGPT leanred them via the main cloud-based DB, then we indirectly share the private information with them.
I hope I am not correct but I would like to hear more detailed information about AI summary feature.
Who's already had a chance to try these features? We've applied, but there's been no response.
Tobias Hermanns I totally agree that it's a great use case for chat gpt. I asked during Minich Zendesk event if it's on the Road Map and the answer was something like "Nice idea we'll consider it".
Thank you again Rafael Santos!
Tobias Hermanns is this something that could be helpful? https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408843471642-Enabling-Article-Recommendations-in-Web-Widget-Classic- if not, can you tell me what you're trying to achieve?
Andrew V. thank you! It's not possible to limit access - everyone has access once it's enabled by an admin in Settings. We are not planning on adding this to Explore but I understand the use case - noted!
John you can find more details about the topic here: https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/5729714731290#h_01H128YHC41CMTD1GKDAW2Y2N4
Slava Skorbezh currently around 12 customers have access, but this will change in the next week - we plan to enable 50 more accounts, and then everyone who applied. I'll make sure everyone who interacted in this thread will be included in the very next batch.
We've been testing for the past 2 weeks and the summarization feature is the one we've got the most value from, as getting an overview of very long and complex ticket threads becomes very helpful and is an amazing time saver.
The text enhancing, however, takes too long to return results, which isn't as helpful, as we've observed that it usually takes more than 1 try to get it right, which may end up adding more than 1 minute to that individual ticket interaction's handling time.
I don´t think so this recommandation are same not working recommendation we have on Answer Bot send out via E-Mail before. We really looking into Chat GPT review our Helpcenter in future.
Please sign in to leave a comment.