I would like to switch my Zendesk support address from the Gmail connector to standard email forwarding.
It is recommended that you follow these steps during off hours so that you do not miss any support requests from customers. After making this change, you will no longer see your sent Zendesk notifications in your external support address Sent Mail folder. Zendesk will manage the sending of your notifications instead of Gmail.
- Open your Email channel settings page by browsing to Admin icon () > Channels > Email.
- Hover your mouse to the right of your original Zendesk support address (email@example.com).
- Click make default if this email address is not already your default support address.
- Select disconnect to the right of your external support address (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org) to delete the Gmail connector.
- Set up email forwarding from your external support address to your default support address (for example, email@example.com to firstname.lastname@example.org). For more information on how to do this, see Forwarding your incoming support email to Zendesk using Gmail/Google Apps.
- On the Email settings page, in Zendesk, select Add address > Connect External Address and enter your external support address in the Enter current support address field and then click Go.
- Click through the next screens. Zendesk will validate that the email forwarding is already set up.
- Now, hover your mouse to the right of your external support address and click make default. Note that this step is optional, but many customers prefer their external support address to be their default support address.
- Setup an SPF record (Optional), have your Network/IT team add the Zendesk entry of include:mail.zendesk.com to the SPF record for the domain of your external support address. This Setting up SPF for Zendesk to send email on behalf of your email domain article provides guidance for this process.