Guide managers can prevent some users from viewing the content of certain topics in the community. For example, you can configure a topic so that only users who have signed in can view it. Or, you can limit access to a topic to agents only.
Understanding access restrictions at a glance
You can restrict viewing access for a community topic as follows.
|User role||Restrict by Tags
(need all tags)
|Restrict by Organization
(need at least one org)
|Restrict by Group
(need at least one group)
(ignored for agents)
|Agents and managers||YES||NO||YES|
These are the specific access restriction settings that are available:
- Anyone can view the topic
- Only signed-in users can view the topic
- (Optional) Signed-in users who are in certain organizations
- (Optional) Signed-in users who have certain tags
- Only agents and
managers can view the topic
- (Optional) Agents and Guide Managers who are in certain groups
- (Optional) Agents and Guide Managers who have certain tags
Setting access restrictions for community topics
You can restrict viewing access for community topics.
Viewing restrictions do not apply to Guide Managers. Managers can access all sections in the Help Center, regardless of the restrictions.
To restrict access to a community topic
- Open the topic you want to restrict, then click Edit topic in the top menu
- In the topic's sidebar
under Who can view, click the drop-down menu, then
select an access option.
- Anyone Any user who visits your Help Center community can view this topic, without signing in.
- Signed-in users Any users, including end-users, who sign in can view this topic.
- Agents and managers Only agents and Guide Managers can view this topic. All Support administrators are automatically Guide Managers.
- Depending on your selection, you might be able to further restrict access in the
For Signed-in users, you can restrict access by tag and organization. For Agents and managers, you can restrict access by tag and group.
Note: If you you include tags and organizations, the user must have all the specified tags (either directly associated with the user or inherited through an organization) and must belong to at least one of the specified organizations. Likewise if you restrict by tags and groups, the agent must have all tags and at least one group.
- Tags limits access to signed-in users with all of the specified tags. You can add multiple tags. Only users who have all of the specified tags can view the section. To add a tag, start typing, then select one of the matching tags that appears. You need to add the tag to a user before you can use it as a restriction (see Adding tags to users and organizations)Note: Be aware that, after signing in, users can view all tags associated with their profile by accessing the Help Center source code.
- Organization limits access to users in the selected organizations. Any user who belongs to at least one of the organizations can view the section. The organization option is ignored for signed-in agents. Agents do not need to belong to one of the organizations to view the section.
To add an organization, start typing the name of the organization, then select one of the matching organizations that appears. You can add multiple organizations.
- Group (Guide Professional only) limits access to agents in the selected groups. Any agent
who belongs to at least one of the groups can view the section.
To add a group, select a group from the drop-down menu or start typing, then select one of the matching groups that appears.
- Tags limits access to signed-in users with all of the specified tags. You can add multiple tags. Only users who have all of the specified tags can view the section.
- Click Update.