Agents can set their availability to one of three states:
- Online: The agent is available to take calls. Talk can route calls to the agent. If the agent doesn't answer, Talk waits for 30 seconds, then routes the call to the next online agent.
- Offline: The agent is offline and Talk will not route calls to that agent. Note that Talk does not automatically set agents to the Offline state. However, admins can set an agent to offline in the Talk dashboard (Team and Professional only).
- Away: The agent is currently not available to take calls; for example, they could be on a break. Talk will not route calls to that agent but will place them in the queue for an agent who is available to answer. The Away state is intended to be used for short periods of time. If an agent is going to away for a while, they should use the Offline state.
In a scenario where all agents are in the Offline state, incoming calls will be routed to voicemail.
In a scenario where all agents are in the Away state, incoming calls will continue to be queued. The values you’ve set for maximum queue size and maximum queue wait time behavior will be in effect unless the call was manually transferred to a group.
When an agent in the Online state answers a call, they remain in the Online state. Incoming calls continue to be queued.
This article contains the following topics:
Setting the agent state
To set the agent state
- Click the Talk icon () on the right side of the toolbar.
- Use the drop-down list in the Talk console to select your state.
- If an agent's state is Away, you cannot transfer calls to them. In this case, you are trying to transfer a call to Sally. The orange dot next to her name indicates she is away, and you cannot transfer the call.
Working with agent states in the Talk Dashboard
With the Talk Dashboard, you can see a breakdown of your agents activities including the time they spent in each state, and the total time they spent online (this includes time in the Away state).
Additionally, you can update the state of Talk agents.
For more information about using the Talk Dashboard, see Analyzing call activity with the Talk Professional dashboard and Analyzing call activity with the Talk Team dashboard.