If you discover that you’ve added duplicate versions of leads or contacts, you can easily merge the two (or more) records into one. You can access the merge feature from the Index or Table views in the Leads and Contacts pages.
To merge leads or contacts
- From the Leads or Contacts page, use either the Index or Table views to select the duplicate records.
- Click the Merge button.
- You’ll be prompted to confirm that you want to merge the records.
- Click Merge.
The topmost selected record is the one that the other record(s) will be merged into. You’ll see a confirmation of the merge in the notes for lead or contact.
The merge feature follows these rules and has the following limitations:
- If the records you've merged had different values in the same data field, Sell automatically creates a custom field to store this data. None of your data is deleted. For example, if the email field contained different values, Sell creates a new custom field called Email#1 and preserves the data.
- You can merge up to 5 records at one time.
- You can’t merge a person contact into a company contact.
- You can’t merge person contacts that have different companies assigned to them.
- You can’t merge a lead into a contact and vice versa.