How can I remove the forwarding address from the Gmail connector and use the standard email forwarding?
Tip: Follow the below steps during off-hours to not miss any incoming tickets from your customers.
To switch from the Gmail connector to standard email forwarding
- Click the Zendesk Products icon () in the top bar and click Admin Center.
- In Admin Center, click Channels in the sidebar.
- Under Talk and email click, Email.
- Follow this and the next step if the support address in question will be your default address. Hover your mouse to the right of your original Zendesk support address (
- Click make default if this email address is not already your default support address.
- Select disconnect to the right of your external support address, for example,
email@example.com delete the Gmail connector.
- Configure email forwarding in Gmail from the external support address to the default support address, for example
- Select Add address > Connect External Address.
- Add the external support address in the Enter current support address field.
- Click Go.
- If you wish for this address to become your default support address, hover the mouse to the right of the external support address and click make default.
Once the steps above have been completed, have the administrator of your email add the Zendesk entry of
include:mail.zendesk.com to the SPF record for the domain of the external support address. For more information, see this article: Allowing Zendesk to send email on behalf of your email domain.
Note: If you utilize the Gmail Connector in combination with the Send email via Gmail option, Gmail's email servers send the notifications and you can locate these notifications in the Sent Items folder in Gmail. After switching to standard forwarding, Zendesk will send these emails on behalf of your domain and Gmail will no longer contain the sent messages.
Referred to instructions in the article, and it doesn't work..
Step 3 - made default
Step 4: Select disconnect ..
After that step, firstname.lastname@example.org removed from the list (expected)
Step 5 - Gmail FW Done
Step 6 - Select Add address > Connect External Address and then Step 7 - Click through the next screens.
"Please make sure you’ve updated your Gmail settings by following the steps above."
It works, when I did instead:
Select Add address > "Connect Other"
After that step, Add address > "Connect External Address" wizard works too
Note - side task of #6640721 case
Hi Alex, thanks so much for sharing. Yes, for specific types of email addresses (usually email addresses that are also distribution lists, aliases, or groups) you will need to use the Connect other option instead. With most support addresses, the Connect external address option will still work. This support tip Unable to add Gmail address as an external support address discusses the Connect other option.
Please sign in to leave a comment.