You can use Flow Builder to create answers for your conversation bots, giving your customers the opportunity to self-serve their support issues before connecting with agents. In this article, we’ll introduce you to the Flow Builder UI and basic functionality. For information about working with Flow Builder, see Building a bot using answers.
This article includes the following topics:
The Flow Builder UI
Flow Builder is the tool you use to create answers for your bot, which controls how it behaves in response to customer input.
The Flow Builder components are listed below. Each plays an important role in building your answer:
- Flow, your answer represented in a decision tree format, as a series of connected steps representing the interaction the bot can have with a customer. You can select a step to configure the bot's responses, and add steps to the answer. The navigation controls at the bottom of the flow allow you to zoom in and out of the flow, or pan to areas in the flow, and you can pinch to zoom using a touchpad or touch screen.
- Configuration panel, where you can customize each step in your answer. The appearance of this panel changes based on what part of the flow you're working on.
- Answer builder (shown above), displayed when you initially create an answer, and when you select the top step in the answer flow. Here, you can edit your answer intent, and work with your question variations.
- Configuration tab, which appears when you select a step to the answer, or add a new step to an answer. Here, you can select the type of step you want to add to your answer, add and edit automated messages, and build lists of options for your customers to choose from. For detailed information on these step types, including usage and configuration rules, visual examples of the steps in Flow Builder, and how each appears to your customers in a Web Widget, see Understanding bot step types.
- Preview tab, for previewing the customer experience created by your flow, before releasing it to your customers. Click the Preview tab in the Configuration panel to view.
- Footer, which appears at the bottom of the screen, under the Flow. On the footer, you'll find the Preview and Done buttons, the bot the current answer is a part of, and the status (draft or live) of that bot. Note that even if the bot is Live, any new answers or updates to existing answers will not appear in the bot until they're published. See Publishing bot updates for more information.
Publishing bot updates
Any of the changes made in Flow Builder must be published before they appear in your messaging channel.
To publish a bot update
- Create or update your answers in Flow Builder, and click Save.
- In the Flow Builder footer, click Publish. This makes the changes live in your messaging channels, and updates the publishing information in the footer.
For more information about publishing, see Publishing answers.