When omnichannel routing is turned on for your account, agents working in the Zendesk Agent Workspace can set a single unified status across multiple Zendesk channels (Support, Messaging, and Talk). The status set by the agent determines when and what type of tickets from these channels can be routed to them with omnichannel routing.
Before you start setting your agent status, consider the following:
- You must have the Agent Workspace activated to use unified agent statuses.
- Light agents can’t set a unified status.
- When using unified agent statuses, chat operating hours won't automatically set your messaging status.
- If an agent forgets to set their status to offline, the status of the agent is automatically set to offline when one of the following events is detected:
- An agent closes the Agent Workspace without signing out (by closing down their computer or browser window or putting their computer to sleep)
- An agent’s connection is lost due to a network outage
This article contains the following topics:
About unified agent statuses
Unified agent statuses are used to inform routing behavior for tickets from Support, Messaging, and Talk. There are four default agent statuses:
- Online - Tickets from Talk, Messaging, and Support can be routed to the agent.
- Away - Only Support tickets can be routed to the agent.
- Transfer only - Only tickets that have already been reviewed and need to be transferred to the agent can be routed to them.
- Offline - No tickets can be routed to the agent.
On Professional and Enterprise plans, admins can create additional custom statuses for agents to use. When an admin creates custom statuses, they define one of the default statuses for each channel that will be applied when an agent uses the custom status. For example, if an admin creates a new status called “In meeting”, they probably don't want the most time-sensitive channels of work routed to agents with this status. In that case, they could set Email (Support) to online, and Messaging and Talk to away. That would result in agents with the “In meeting” status only receiving tickets generated from Support email.
Setting your status
Agents set a single status in the Agent Workspace for Support, Messaging, and Talk. It's important that you set your status to Offline before any periods of inactivity, such as signing off for the day. Your status won't be inferred based on your session connectivity, it must be set manually.
To set your status
- In the ticket interface, click your profile icon in the top bar and select the status you want from the profile menu.