The field syncing feature enables near real time syncing of data between Zendesk Support and JIRA. This will improve information sharing between the two systems, for better collaboration between Support and Engineering teams. This is done by creating mapping between JIRA Issue fields and Support Ticket fields.
This article contains the following topics:
Requirements and limitations
- Supported versions are: JIRA Cloud and JIRA Server 7.2 and newer.
- Once data is synced, it cannot be removed easily. However, you can disable field syncing all together, which disables all field links.
- Direction of sync can be set on a per field basis, but only one mapping per field is allowed.
- Bidirectional syncing of the same field is not supported.
- Field mapping screen displays custom field types from all JIRA projects in a single list.
- All mapped fields for a particular issue or ticket get updated via a single API call, so if one field mapping was misconfigured, the update of all fields will fail.
Setting up field syncing
Field syncing is set up using a simple mapping interface.
Zendesk Support and JIRA have different field types, which adds complexity to the syncing process and requires the user to follow certain rules when creating field mapping, to ensure syncing will work as expected.
Both System (default) and Custom fields are supported; however, only a subset of all available field types are supported. Additionally, there are limitations as to which JIRA field type can be synced to a Zendesk Support field type and vice-versa. For instance, a text field cannot be synced to a datetime field. To prevent misconfiguration, the user interface hides field types that are not supported, and greys out invalid mapping options.
Because data synced fields cannot be unsynced, we recommend that you test your field syncing in a test environment or sandbox. If necessary, you can disable the field syncing feature by removing all field mappings. This will stop syncing of subsequent data changes.
To configure and to enable Field Syncing
- Log in to your JIRA account with Admin privileges.
- Click the Settings cog, then select Add-ons > Manage add-ons > Zendesk Support for JIRA > Configure.
- Use the drop-down menus to select the JIRA issue ticket field and Zendesk Support ticket fields you want to map.
- Click Add. The synced fields are added to the Field Mapping list.
- Repeat for additional mapped fields.
- When finished mapping fields, click Save & Sync.
You can, conceivably, sync a field from a single JIRA issue to multiple Zendesk Support tickets, or a field from a single Support ticket to multiple JIRA issues. In this case, the syncing only occurs in one direction, from the single issue or ticket to the multiple ones.
However, syncing a field from multiple linked tickets to a JIRA issue field, or from multiple JIRA issues to a field on a ticket, is not supported. Configuring field sync in such a way will cause it to stop syncing for this particular ticket or issue. When wanting to link multiple tickets to a JIRA issue and use sync we recommend using problem/incident concept described in Working with problem and incident tickets.
Syncing closed tickets
Unlike JIRA, Zendesk does not allow closed tickets to be updated. This means that when attempting to sync JIRA issues to Zendesk tickets, it may fail if the ticket is already closed. You will be able to see this error on the Zendesk Support for JIRA add-on Error Report screen.
Since syncing is something that happens behind the scenes, errors are displayed on a dedicated screen. The error report screen allows the user to identify and resolve invalid field mappings as well as other configuration issues.