It’s important to understand the distinction between your account’s default group and an agent’s default group and what each is used for. These are two separate types of defaults and you can change each of them.
This article discusses the following topics:
- About default groups for your account or an agent
- Changing your account’s default group
- Changing an agent's default group
About default groups for your account or an agent
Here are definitions for the two types of default groups:
Your account’s default group: This is the group that all new tickets received by email and new agents are initially assigned to. When you create a new agent, they automatically become part of this group. If you only have one group, then that group is your account’s default group. Every account has a default group.
An agent’s default group: This is the agent’s primary group. When an agent is created, your account’s default group automatically becomes the agent’s default group also. However, you can change the agent’s default group at any time from their user profile. Every agent has a default group. When a ticket is assigned to an agent automatically, the ticket is assigned to the agent in their default group. If you manually assign a ticket to an agent, you can choose to assign the ticket to the agent in any of their groups.
Changing your account’s default group
If you have multiple groups, you can choose a different group to be your account’s default group.
To change your account’s default group
- Click the Admin icon () in the sidebar, then select Manage > People.
- Click groups.
Your account’s current default group is labeled.
- Find the group you want to use as your new default group and click edit.
- Select the Make group default.
- Click Update group.
Changing an agent's default group
You can view or change an agent’s default group from their user profile.
- On the agent's profile, click Groups.
A list of groups appears with the agent's group highlighted.
- (Optional) Move your cursor over Create new group, enter a name, and then click the plus (+) to create a new group.
- (Optional) Click the groups that you want to add or remove from the agent’s profile.
For more information, see Adding and removing agents from groups.
- Click the name of the current Default group, then select a new default group from the drop-down menu.
- Click Close.