Once you've set up your browser or phone (see Setting up your browser or phone to take calls), you're ready to make and receive calls. Make sure you've set your status to Online in the call console.
Receiving an incoming call
If you're in Zendesk and receive a call, the call console appears in the upper-right corner.
- Click Accept in the call console that appears under the Talk icon in the top toolbar.
If you don't answer within 30 seconds or decline the call, it's placed back in the queue to wait for the next available agent.
Returning a callback request (Talk Professional and Enterprise)
If your administrator has enabled callback from queue (see Allowing customers to request a callback), callback requests appear in the call console similar to incoming calls.
To take action on a callback request
- Click Call to return the call.
- Click Decline to move to the next call in the queue.
Making an outbound call
You can make outbound calls from either your browser or your telephone. Keep in mind that while you can make outbound calls using your telephone, you must initiate the call from within Zendesk in your web browser.
- Click the Talk icon () on the right side of the toolbar.
- Click the dial pad icon.
- Click your current number to open the call from drop-down list. You can then select a new number to call from.
- Enter the telephone number and click Call.
- If you're using your phone, Zendesk will call your number and then dial the requester after you pick up.
- Select the ticket you want to use to call the requester.
- Above the new comment field, click the telephone icon.
- Select an existing telephone number or click Enter a number to call to manually enter a new number to dial.
To make an outbound call from a user's profile
- Open a user's profile.
- Click their number in the Phone field.
- In the dropdown that appears, select Call this number.
Note: If you have not selected a phone number to call from, follow the steps at the beginning of this section. You will receive an error message if you do not select a number.
The call console opens and calls the selected number.
Putting a call on hold or mute
While on a call, you can put the customer on hold or mute your microphone so that you can consult with another agent or track down other information.
- Click the pause button on the lower-right side of the call console.
While on hold, the customer hears the on-hold music and you hear a beep every 15 seconds. Click the pause button again to take the customer off hold.
To mute your microphone
- Click the microphone icon in the call console.
Transferring a call (Talk Team, Professional, and Enterprise)
You can transfer calls to a group, another agent, or an external number. When you transfer a call to a group, the call is added to the queue for that group until an agent from the group answers it. When you transfer a call directly to an agent, you can consult with the other agent before handing off the call.
With all types of transfers, the call's existing ticket will automatically open when the next agent takes the call.
- After you answer a call or make an outbound call, the ticket automatically opens.
- Click the transfer button from the ticket or the call console. The customer is placed on hold and hears the hold greeting.
- Start typing the agent, group, or end-user's name or phone number. Click on the agent or group's name to transfer a call.
- If transferring to another agent: You'll first be connected to the agent while the caller remains on hold. When you've finished consulting with the agent, click Transfer.
If transferring to an external number: You'll need to dial the number, including the country code. When the caller is picking up, the Transfer option appears. You can then introduce your caller to the user, and click Transfer.
- The message This call has been transferred successfully appears in the window. At this point, the related ticket is also assigned to the other agent. Click Close.
Ending a call
You can end a call manually, or, if the customer you're talking to hangs up first, Talk automatically ends the call.
- Click Hang up in the call console at the top of the ticket. Or, if you've redirected the call to your telephone you can end the call by hanging up.
- In the call console, click Available to take new calls.
If you do not see this option, then your administrator has disabled agent wrap-up. This means you are immediately available for another call when you finish a call. For details, see Enabling the Zendesk Talk and configuring general settings or, if you use Team, Professional, or Enterprise Talk, see Configuring agent wrap-up.
Frequently asked questions for making and receiving calls
- Can I change the ring tone on an incoming call?
No, you cannot change the incoming ring tone.
- Can I change the time before a call goes to the next available agent?
No, Talk tries the call for 30 seconds before moving on to the next agent.