API tokens can be used to as part of 2-factor authentication for integrations. You can view, add, delete, and manage API tokens in the Zendesk Admin interface.
In order to generate an API token, you must be an administrator, and Token Access must be enabled.
To generate an API token
- Click the Admin icon () in the sidebar, then select Channels > API.
- Click the Settings tab, and make sure Token Access is enabled.
- Click the + button to the right of Active API Tokens.
- Optionally, enter a description under API Token Description. The token is generated, and displayed for you:
- Copy the token, and paste it somewhere secure. Once you close this window, the full token will never be displayed again.
- Click Save to return to the API page. A truncated version of the token is displayed: