You can require customers to enter information, like name, phone number, or a question, by enabling the pre-chat form.
To enable the pre-chat form
- From the dashboard, select Settings > Widget.
- Click Forms at the top of the page.
- Next to Pre-Chat Form, click On.
- Select the information you want end users to enter before they can start a chat, like in the example below:
Some of the displayed options vary depending on your settings in other areas:
For the Require Phone Number option to appear, you must select Allow Phone Number under the Visitor Profile section of the same page.
For the Require Department option to appear, you have to have departments enabled. For details, see Creating agents and departments.
In rare situations, information required in the pre-chat form may not be passed into the chat:
- If the chat is started by a proactive trigger, the pre-chat form requirement is bypassed and chats can be created without users having to fill in their name and email address. For more information, see Why do I keep receiving chats with no customer contact information?
- If a chat is interrupted or disconnected, pre-chat data may not be reapplied upon reconnection, including department and visitor tags.