Masking a number means that when you call a customer, your phone number is replaced by the masked number every time you use the standard call via browser option for making calls. The recipient of the phone call sees the masked number as the Caller ID when they receive the call. When they answer your call, the conversation is recorded in Sell as normal.
Masking your Sell number
The following steps are required to set up a masked phone number.
To mask your Sell number
Contact Zendesk customer support to request phone number masking.
Specify the following information so that Support can call you to set up masking (you will need to be connected by phone):
Note: When Support calls you, you'll need two devices or lines that you can use concurrently.
- A contact phone number (that is not your masking number). This can be your Sell number, or any other number you want to provide for Support to get in contact with you.
- The number you want to use as a masking number
- A good time for Support to call you to set up masking
- Support calls you on the contact phone number.
- When you are connected, Support then calls your masking number through the Twilio (phone service provider) console.
- Answer the call to the masking number (while remaining on the other line).
- Support will read you a six-digit code. When prompted, enter the six-digit code on your device to verify the number.
Your masking number is verified.
- Support will activate the masking number, and confirm when it is in place.
When the masking number is activated, your number is masked whenever you call using the call via browser option from your Sell Voice account. The call via transfer number option is unaffected.