You can create notes for any lead, contact, or deal, so that you can record relevant information relating to your interactions. For example, you might want to record meeting notes or a contact's buying preferences.
When you create a note, it creates a log in the Activity Feed with information about who created the note and when.
This article contains the following topics:
- Creating a note for a lead, contact, or deal
- Viewing, restricting, editing, and deleting a note
- Tagging a note
- Starring a note
Creating a note for a lead, contact, or deal
Notes are stored alongside a lead, contact, or deal.
To create a new note
- Go to the relevant Lead, Contact, or Deal page.
- Click Add a Note.
- Enter the information you want to record for that lead, contact, or deal.
You have several formatting options and instructions to choose from in the note. Click the icon to apply the feature:
Icon Function Make the text bold. Hot key: Cmd+B Make the text italicized. Hot key: Cmd+I Create a main heading. Create a sub-heading. Make the text a quote. This indents the text, and grays it out. Create a bulleted list. Create a numbered list. Add a link. Enter the text you want to display, and the URL, and click Insert. If you don't enter text, the URL is displayed. Use @mention to include someone else in the note. The user you mention is notified (see Using @mentions for collaborative selling). Show on Primary Contact If you are adding a note to a deal, click Show on Primary Contact to add the note for the primary contact associated with the deal. The note is then saved to both the deal and the contact. Show on (Employees and) Current Deals
If you are adding a note to a contact, click Show on Current Deals to add the note to the contact associated with the deal. The note is then saved to both the contact and the deal.
If you are adding a note to a contact, and the contact is a company (with employees), click Show on Employees and Current Deals to add the note to the company contact associated with the deal. The note is then saved to both the contact and the deal.
Make your note a restricted note so only you can view it. Add a predefined tag to the note - see Tagging a note. Star a note, to make it easier to find and filter - see Starring a note.
- Click Save.
Viewing, restricting, editing, and deleting a note
To view a note
You can view notes directly from any lead, contact, or deal card, as part of the Activity Feed. For mobile devices, you can click the Notes tab to display all notes.
Alternatively, type note into the search field and you can select the Notes view to see all notes.
To restrict a note
- Click the note you want to restrict. You can restrict all notes that you have access to.
- Click the padlock () icon.
- Click Save. Now only you will be able to see the note.
To edit a note
- Click the note you want to edit. You can edit all notes that you have access to.
- Click the pencil () icon.
- Make your changes, and click Save.
To delete a note
- Click the note you want to delete. You can delete all notes that you have access to.
- Click the trashcan () icon.
- Click Remove to delete the note. You can't retrieve a note after it has been deleted.
Tagging a note
You can add a tag to a note when you first create it, or when you edit the note. You can filter tagged notes in the Activity Feed.
To tag a note
- In the note you want to tag, click the tag icon ().
- A list of predefined tags is displayed. Click one or more tags to add to the note. Uncheck the tag to remove it from the note.
Tags are configured by the account admin in Settings > Customize > Notes (see setting up note tags).Note: Note tags are defined separately from contact tags. They are not shared.
When a note is tagged, the tag icon is filled with color.
- Click Save.
The tag or tags are added and are displayed in alphabetical order.
Starring a note
You can star a note when you first create it, or when you edit the note. You can filter starred notes in the Activity Feed.
To star a note
- In the note you want to star, click the star icon ().
Note: If you share leads or contacts, anyone that can view the record can view a star, and can star (or unstar) the note.
If you are viewing the note in the Activity Feed, you can star the note directly from this view.
- The note is immediately starred. Click again to unstar the note.
When a note is starred, the star icon is filled with color.