It’s important to understand the distinction between your account’s default group and a team member’s default group and what each is used for. These are two separate types of defaults and you can change each of them.
This article discusses the following topics:
- About default groups for your account or a team member
- Changing your account’s default group
- Changing a team member's default group
About default groups for your account or a team member
Here are definitions for the two types of default groups:
Your account’s default group: This is the group that all new tickets received by email and new agents are initially assigned to. When you create a new agent, they automatically become part of this group. If you only have one group, then that group is your account’s default group. Every account has a default group.
A team member’s default group: This is the team member’s primary group. When a team member is created, your account’s default group automatically becomes the team member’s default group also. However, you can change their default group at any time from their user profile. Every team member has a default group.When a ticket is assigned to an agent automatically, the ticket is assigned to the agent in their default group in the following circumstances:
- If the ticket is new and not assigned to any group, then the agent automatically assigned will have the ticket assigned to their default group.
- If the ticket is already assigned to a group, then the agent automatically assigned isn't in that group.
If you manually assign a ticket to an agent, you can choose to assign the ticket to the agent in any of their groups.
Changing your account’s default group
If you have multiple groups, you can choose a different group to be your account’s default group.
To change your account’s default group
In Admin Center, click
People in the sidebar, then select Team > Groups.
Your account's current default group is labeled.
- Find the group you want to use as your new default group and click edit.
- Select the Make group default.
- Click Update group.
Changing a team member's default group
You can view or change a team member's default group from their user profile.
- On the team member's profile, click Groups.
A list of groups appears with the team member's group highlighted.
- (Optional) Move your cursor over Create new group, enter a name, and then click the plus (+) to create a new group.
- (Optional) Click the groups that you want to add or remove from the team
For more information, see Adding and removing team members from groups.
- Click the name of the current Default group, then select a new default group from the drop-down menu.
- Click Close.