- Drill in: Enables the report viewer to break a data point down by additional attributes.
- Decompose: Enables the report viewer to slice the query results with another attribute they choose.
You perform these interactions by selecting a data point on a table or chart or by clicking and dragging across multiple data points. After you click, a drop-down list appears displaying the available interaction options.
Use the following topics to learn about the interaction options and how to use them:
The drill in interaction breaks down the data points by additional attributes. For more on drill in, see Using drill-in to refine your queries.
The decompose interaction slices the data points you selected by additional attributes.
To decompose a query
- In your query, select one or more data points and then click Decompose.
- On the next page, choose one or more attributes to slice the selected data points.
By default, decompose allows viewers to select any attribute in your dataset. You can restrict the available attributes or set a Decompose path in Chart configuration > Decompose type.
- If you want the new attributes to be placed in the Columns panel, click On columns or if you want them in the Rows panel, click On rows.
- If you want to keep your original attribute in the query, select Keep original element on the axis.
- When you are finished, click Ok.
The selected data points will be sliced by the new attributes you have selected. If you have chosen not to keep the original elements those attributes are added to the Filters panel.
You’re measuring the number of Tickets by Ticket solved - Year, and you decompose the 2018 year data point by Ticket solved - Month on columns. Your results would resemble the image below.
The example below uses decompose to examine the number of tickets created by channel each quarter. You can replicate these steps using any metrics and attributes.
- Click the bar of the quarter you want to view.
- Click Decompose.
- Choose the Ticket channel attribute.
- Click On columns.
- Click Ok.
The bar for Q1 is decomposed to show the ticket channels used in the Q1 period.
- Click the chart configuration icon ().
- In the chart configuration menu, select Interactions.
- Clear the Allow decompose option.
- Save the query.
Copy (tables only)
In tables only, you can select one or more data points and then click Copy to add the data to your computer clipboard. You can only copy the result data points, not the attribute names.
Reverting interaction options
After you've used a drill in or decompose operation to dig into your data, you can use this procedure to revert to your initial query results.
To revert an interaction option
- In Query builder, click the undo button.
The query results revert to their previous state. Depending on how many query interactions you performed, you might need to click undo more than once.