This Explore recipe shows you how to analyze when tickets are created by time of day. This recipe can also be cloned from your pre-built Support Overview dashboard.
What you'll need
Skill level: Easy
Time Required: 10 minutes
- Zendesk Explore Professional or Enterprise
- Editor or Admin permissions (see Giving agents access to Explore)
- Ticket data in Zendesk Support
How to create the report in Explore
- In Explore, click the reports ( ) icon.
- In the Reports library, click New report.
- On the Select a Dataset page, click Support > Support - Tickets, then click New report. The report builder opens.
- Next, add your metrics, the things you want to measure. In this case, you'll add the number of tickets created. In the Metrics panel, click Add.
- From the list of metrics, choose Tickets > Tickets, then click Apply.
- In the Columns panel, click Add.
- From the list of attributes, choose Time - Ticket created > Ticket created - Hour, then click Apply. Your report will look something like this:
The chart shows the distribution by hour of tickets created, for all tickets in your account. Now, you can make two refinements, to filter the results for a specific time period, and customize the appearance of the chart.
First, think about what would be a useful representative period to look at.
- In the Filters panel, click Add.
- From the list of attributes, choose Time - Ticket created > Ticket created - Year, then click Apply.
- In the Filters panel, click the Ticket created - Year filter you just added.
- On the filter's page, click Edit date ranges.
- Choose a Simple date range such as this year, this week, or last month. Alternatively, you can access more date range options by clicking the Advanced tab. Choose your date range, then click Apply.
- Next, decide the visualization you want to use. The auto chart function likely chose an area chart for you, but you can change that if you want. Area, column and line charts are all useful for this kind of visualization:
- Finally, configure your chart. There are many configuration options in the chart configuration menu. See Customizing reports for help getting started.
First time taking a stab at these dashboards. Is there a way to edit the hour/time format to not read as 0 through 23?
Hey Kayla Valadez - You can definitely adjust this by creating two new calculated attributes.
For instance, here's what I've done in the past. First, I created a Renamed Set calculation based on the Ticket Created - Hour attribute. This allows me to rename the values 0 through 23 to the actual hour they represent in our Zendesk instance. Here's a screenshot of what that looks like:
Next, I created a new Ordered Set calculation based on the newly built Renamed Set calculation to help control how these attributes will be ordered for a query. For instance, 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am, etc. instead of 1am, 1pm, 2am, 2pm, etc. Here's what that looks like:
From there, select the name of the Ordered Set you created under the Columns section and you should be all set. You'll also be able to use these new calculated attributes for any other queries you'd like to build. Hope that helps!
Muito bom essa métrica, como faço para obter a média de tickets criadas por hora?
pois nesse resultado aparece o total de tickets, precisa saber a média criada por hora para saber qual horário que preciso de mais uma pessoa para atuar nos atendimentos por exemplo.
O agregador da métrica de ticket padrão não contém média. Portanto, você pode usar a métrica calculada padrão abaixo. Mais informações podem ser encontradas em Criação de Medidas e Atributos Padrão.
Would it be possible to display this report by tickets created every half hour?
You can further slice your hourly data by another custom time attribute for half-hour. You can check out the sample in this recipe. That recipe is for the Talk dataset that's why the attribute references Call - Minute. If for example, you need to look at the the time of ticket creation, then in your Tickets dataset, you can use Ticket created - Minute in the formula.
Does the hour calculations 0 - 23, indicate time as per the time zone of the person's profile?
Example: If my zendesk profile time zone is IST (India Standard Time ) , so '0' hours is 12AM - 1AM IST, then '1' hours is 1AM - 2AM IST, and so on?
You're right, Explore uses the time zone in the user profile.
For reference: Which time zone does Zendesk Explore use?
Please sign in to leave a comment.