The Clone Ticket app integrates with Zendesk Support and enables agents to clone a ticket multiple times in batches. You can select a specific ticket and clone as many copies as set by an administrator.
The app maintains all ticket metadata and allows the configuration of tickets after they are cloned. The cloned tickets contain the source ticket information such as contact details, status, type, and the initial question or comment. An internal comment is added showing the date, time, and source ticket number.
This article includes the following topics:
Installing the app
The app is installed from the Zendesk Marketplace.
To install the app
- In Zendesk Support, click Admin then select Apps > Marketplace. Enter "Clone Ticket" in the search bar at the upper right of the page.
- Click on the Clone Ticket app.
- In the Installation section, enter a name for the Clone Ticket app, then enable group and role restrictions if required. These configuration options are also available after installation by navigating to Admin > Apps > Manage.
- In the Creation Limit setting, you set the max number of tickets that can be cloned at one time. This cannot be set to zero.
- You can check the Allow agents to open cloned tickets box, and the cloned tickets can be opened immediately.
- Click Install.
Using the app
When a ticket is opened, the app is available to clone the ticket in the ticket sidebar.
To clone the ticket
- Display the Clone Ticket app on the ticket page by clicking the Apps button on the upper-right side of the page.
- In the Clone Ticket app, click Create clones of this ticket.
- Enter the number of times to clone a ticket and click Create. You can choose whether to open the tickets automatically after creation.
- Re-enter the number of times to clone a ticket as confirmation, and click Confirm.
A confirmation message displays the number of cloned tickets created.
Version 2.2.0 — 2020-08-27
- Added a setting to allow for tags to be added to clone tickets. This allows an admin to build triggers or other workflow on tags that are applied to cloned tickets.
Version 2.3.0 — 2021-07-30
- Convert and incorporate paid features into the Free plan
I have a request.
When cloning a ticket, I would like to be able to select the source ticket item as an option.
I would like to see the date, time, and cloned ticket ID displayed on the source ticket as well.
We have the free version of this app, when do the clone tickets actually get created? - as i do not get an option to automatically open the tickets on creation?.
Good day! The cloned tickets get created when you manually create them by following the steps in this article under Using the app.
The option to open the tickets automatically after creation is only available under the Basic plan.
I hope this helps.
When using this app could you clone closed tickets into a new opened ticket?
The cloning app ignores if the original ticket has an internal note and changes it to a public note in the cloned ticket. This is a deal breaker for us. An internal note that is not meant for the customer to see suddenly is sent to the customer when the ticket is cloned. Can you fix this? Otherwise, this app is better referred to as the Clone-ish Ticket application.
I was able to replicate the actual behavior when a ticket that was cloned only has an internal comment on it. To investigate further, I'll create a ticket for you. Please wait for my update via email.
When I clon a olved ticket, the app automatically close the cloned ticket. I mark the option "automatically open tickets after the creation" but isn't work, can you help me??
What is the difference between the 'free' and the 'basic' edition? Just the option to 'open cloned tickets automatically', or also something else?
Is it possible to use this app in an automation or trigger, eg based on tags?
There might be an automation or a trigger in your instance that is automatically closing those types of tickets. I went ahead & created a ticket to our Support team so we can check the ticket event logs as to why they are getting closed.
Wit-Gele Kruis Limburg
The Clone Ticket App is now a free option If you download it from the Zendesk Marketplace, you should no longer see the "basic" option during installation.
I'll relay this over to the team to have the documentation updated. Thanks!
Thanks for the info. Before I'll install this: Is it possible to use this app in an automation or trigger, eg based on tags?
I mean the opposite: when eg. a tag is added to a ticket, the ticket gets cloned. Or that an automation can use this clone-app to clone a ticket.
You may use custom coding to create a webhook that can create a ticket via API along with the app, but since this would fall under custom coding it would fall outside our scope of support. You may however relay this documentation to your developer team so they can build their own integration services.
I see others have brought up the fact that the app was cloning Internal comments as Public comments. In our testing, it appears Internal comments aren't being cloned at all now. Was this because of the Public comment issue? Any plans on fixing this feature so Internal comments are cloned, but remain Internal?
Hi Ben Hammond
It is actually expected behavior when a ticket only has an internal comment present on the ticket and no public comment, that the cloned ticket would have as a public comment. At the moment, there are no plans to make internal only comments remain internal. But with regards to your issue, we might need to look into that further since the tickets aren't being cloned now. Please keep an eye out for our email to get this checked.
Is it possible to manually batch clone a number of tickets or only one by one?
And if not possible manually, any way to do it automatically?
Cloning will be done manually and it's only one by one.
Please sign in to leave a comment.