This article describes how admins can allow agents to add bolding, italics, lists, and other formatting, as well as images and color text, to their ticket comments and macros. Formatting can help make tickets and the email notifications that are sent to requesters easier to read and understand.
Formatting content in the agent interface
The formatting options described in this section are available automatically in the agent interface and are applied to your whole account. Your agents have a combination of formatting options within the same rich content editor, CKEditor. You don’t have to choose between a Rich content editor and a Markdown editor for your agents.
Agents can format from the toolbar:
Agents can also enter Markdown commands:
This editor is available to agents when they create new tickets, add ticket comments, make bulk editing changes to tickets, and update any tickets created from integrations that use the Zendesk Channel Framework.
Both rich content and markdown formatting options are enabled automatically in your account.
Even though both these options are enabled automatically in your account, the Ticket settings page in Admin Center still includes a choice between Markdown and Rich content. Select the Rich content setting to make sure apps you have installed in your account work correctly in the Zendesk Agent Workspace.
Changes from the legacy editors
This section describes some differences between the combined composer experience and the separate legacy editors for rich content and markdown.
- This new editor experience is not available in the macro editor, yet. This feature is planned for later date.
- Rich-content formatting inside code blocks is not supported.
- Using the down arrow key to escape the code block is not supported. To escape a code block, press the Return key three times.
- Image resizing using the up and down arrow keys is not supported.
- Horizontal rule elements will always be on their own line. They cannot be inside of other elements.
- You can only indent a list item if it is at the same level as a previous list item. You can’t indent blockquotes. You can only indent the text inside of blockquotes.
- Using the markdown underline symbol (_) for underlined text is not supported. For example, typing
_Important_does not appear as Important. You can use underline symbols (_) in addition to asterisks (*) to make text bold or italic. For example, typing
__Caution__appears as Note and Caution.
Turning on or turning off color text
In the Zendesk Agent Workspace, admins can use formatting options to turn color text on or off. This account-wide setting enables admins to control whether agents can add color text and background color to ticket comments or not. See Changing text color. Color text is on by default in the Zendesk Agent Workspace. When color text is turned off, agents will not see a color picker in the text toolbar.
Color text is available only in the Zendesk Agent Workspace, not the standard agent interface.
To turn off color text
- In Admin Center, click Objects and rules in the sidebar, then select Tickets > Settings.
- In the Comments section, deselect Turn on color text.
Later, if you want to turn color text back on, select Turn on color text.