When you attach media to an article, you can choose the file you want to attach from the media library, a place to store and manage images and attachments. You can attach media in any file format, however the media you attach must be within the Guide product limits. The maximum size for article attachments is 20 MB.
You can access the media library from the Attachments section in article settings. From there, you can view or delete media attached to the article, or click Manage attachments to open the media library, where you can:
- View media attached to the article
- Upload media to the media library
- View all media that you've uploaded to the media library
- Attach media that you've previously uploaded to the article. See Attaching media to articles.
Any media that you upload from the media library will be displayed as an attachment in the article settings. If you are a Guide admin, you can also use the media library to view all media uploaded by any user across your account.
For information about attaching media to articles, see Attaching media to articles.
Opening and viewing the media library
You can open and view the media library from any article in your knowledge base. Within the media library, you can search for media by file name or filter media by media type or the date it was added or updated.
To open and view the media library
- In the help center or Guide admin, create or edit an article.
- Click the settings icon () on the collapsible panel, then click Article settings to open the article settings panel.
- Click Manage attachments. The media library opens. You can select the tabs to display the media you want to work with:
- This article: Displays all media attached to this article.
- Your media: Displays all media that you've uploaded to your account.
- All media (Guide admins only): Displays all media that have been uploaded to your account.
The following image shows the This article tab that appears if you are attaching media to the article you are working on.
Uploading media to the media library
You can upload another media file if the media library doesn’t contain the attachment you need.
To upload a file to the media library
Open the media library, then click Upload media.
Note: You can also drag and drop a file into the media library to upload it.
- Select one or more files you want to add to the library, then click Open. Your media is uploaded to the media library and is available to use.
Managing attachments in the media library
Once you’ve uploaded your files to the media library, you can attach them to articles, rename them, replace them, or delete them. You can also select multiple images and use the Actions menu to delete them in bulk.
To manage attachments in the media library
- Open the media library and click the options menu () on the media file you want to manage.
- Select one of the following options:
- Attach media: Attaches the selected media file to the open article.
View details: Displays information about the media file, including file name, size, and where it is used. You can use this option to:
- Rename the file - To rename the file, type the new name in the Title field, then click Save media.
- Replace the current media with a new one you specify - Clicking this button performs the same function as the Replace media option in the media options menu described below.
- Permanently delete the media from the media library - Clicking this button performs the same function as the Replace media option in the media options menu described below.
- Replace media: Replaces the selected media file with a new one of the same type (for example, you can replace any image format with any other image format). You can use this option to upload a new file, download the old and new files, and view all articles that the media is attached to.
Delete media: Permanently removes the selected media from the media library and any published article that uses it. You can only delete the media that you have uploaded. Guide admins can delete any media in the account.
When you select this option, a new window displays a preview of the media and a list of all articles that it is attached to. Verify the media you want to delete is not attached to any other article prior to deleting it.
To bulk delete media from the media library
Open the media library, then select the media that you want to delete.
You can select a maximum of 30 media files at a time.
- Click Actions, then select Delete selection.
- Review the list of articles that contain the media you want to delete. If you want to proceed, click Delete media to permanently delete the media without any further confirmation.
Note: Since deleting media will remove it instantly across all content in which it appears, you may want to return to the article and make minor edits to remove any mention or reference to the media before you delete.