How does Zendesk detect a language for a user in Support?
Zendesk detects the end-user's language in multiple ways. If you support multiple languages in Support this article covers all potential situations in how the end-user's language is detected.
- How user languages are detected if the users are created by an agent
- How user languages are set if auto-detection is utilized
- What can I do if a user's language is incorrectly set?
How user languages are detected if the users are created by an agent
If an admin or agent creates a user, their language is automatically set to match the default language of your Support account. To change your default language, visit Admin () > Settings > Account. Under the Localization tab, select your default language. For more information, see the article: Adding multiple languages to Zendesk Support.
How user languages are set if auto-detection is utilized
This is only applicable to users who were not yet created in your Support account.
- Email detection: If an end user is not created in your Support account prior to submitting a ticket, then their language is automatically detected by the text contained in the body of their first email sent to your Support account. Subsequent emails or tickets don't overwrite the end-user's language, even if another language is consistently used. Manually set their language to resolve this.
- Help Center: When an unregistered end user selects a language in the Help Center menu bar and submits a request from that language, their user is created and their language is identified with the language of the Help Center they were viewing upon ticket submission. However, you can manually set their language if this is their preferred language.
- Web widget: Zendesk can detect a user's preferred language from their Web browser preference setting. The accept-language header, which is passed via HTTP, contains information about the user's language preference. If that is present, the language can be detected upon user creation and sets the language accordingly (as long as you have the language added to your Support account). You can opt to override their browser preference by customizing your Web Widget. For more information, see Advanced customization of your Web Widget.
- Support SDK: If you are using the latest version of the Support SDKs, the language for new unregistered end users matches their device locale. If you don't support the device's locale, then the user's language is set to your account's default language.
- API: If the user is created through the API, the user's language is the default language of your Support instance. To select a specific language to the user, pass a locale in your API call.
What can I do if a user's language is incorrectly set
Since the above information only sets the user language upon user creation, users' languages may be set incorrectly. Use any of the following options to resolve these errors: