This article describes how you can add the Instagram Direct social messaging channel to the Zendesk Agent Workspace, and configure it to meet your needs. At this time only approved early access customers will be able to access this channel. If you wish to be considered for early access, please reach out to your account manager.
It includes the following topics:
Adding the Instagram channel
The first step is to add Instagram Direct to your channels in the Admin Center.
To add an Instagram Direct channel
- In the Instagram app, go to Settings > Privacy > Messages. Under Connected Tools, toggle on Allow access to messages.
- In Zendesk, click the Products icon () in the top bar, then select Admin Center.
- Click the Channels icon ( ) in the left sidebar.
- Click Add channel and select Instagram Direct from the drop-down.
- Click Continue with Instagram Direct to open the Instagram set-up flow.
The set-up flow will ask you for the following information. Follow the instructions in the flow to add this information.
Table 1. Action Description Authenticate to your Facebook profile This is your profile that's linked to your company's Facebook Business Manager. You can Continue with the existing profile or sign in to another account. Provide permission to share your Instagram Account with Zendesk. Zendesk needs this permission to connect your Instagram Professional Business Account to the Agent Workspace. Provide permission to share your Facebook Page(s) with Zendesk. Zendesk needs this permission to connect your Instagram Professional Business Account to the Agent Workspace. We recommend that you select all pages Accept the selected permissions These permissions are needed to send and receive messages from Agent Workspace.
- When you've finished the set-up flow, click Done.
- Select the Instagram channel you wish to connect from the drop-down, then click Next. Assign a name to the new Instagram channel you are connecting, then click Add channel.
As with Facebook Messenger, Instagram Direct allows a business only seven days to respond to the end user before the messaging window closes. To prevent messages from being sent but not delivered, the composer will be blocked once the messaging window is closed. The only way to re-open is if the end user sends a new message.
Additionally, Instagram requires that you respond to an end user’s initial message within 24 hours. After that, you can no longer reply.
Configuring the Instagram channel
Once you’ve added Instagram to your social messaging channels, you can configure how it appears and functions.
To configure the Instagram channel
The Basics tab
The Basics tab is populated with the channel and Instagram profile names. Click in each text box to edit these names. Click Save when you’re done.
If you have multiple brands attached to your Zendesk account, you’ll also have a dropdown menu to select a brand to connect to the Instagram channel. You can only attach one brand to the channel. If your account has only one brand, this option does not appear under the Basics tab.
The Auto-repsonder tab
The auto-responder sends messages automatically to an end user when you receive their messages. See Sending automatic responses to social messages for more detailed information on using and configuring the auto-responder.If you choose to use the auto-responder, click Enable auto-responder, then enter a message for your customers. Click Save when you’re done.
The Message Us button tab
Adding a Message Us button to your website, mobile app, or help center allows customers to discover and connect to your Instagram account, where they can request and receive support via Instagram Direct.
If you choose to add a Message Us button, you’ll need to configure the following elements, then add the HTML code snippet to each page on the website or mobile app where it should be displayed.
As you make the selections below, a preview of the button is updated on the right side of the channel page.
- Color: Choose a gradient style for the button, Dark gray or White.
Size: Select Compact or Regular.
Corner radius: This number determines how rounded the button’s corners are. Enter a number from 0 (right angle) to 20 (near quarter-round).
Label: Enter the text you want displayed on the button.
Width: Enter the length you want your button (up to 400 pixels).
Adding the Message Us button
After you’ve configured the options above, you can add the code snippet to your website, mobile app, or help center.
To add the Message Us button to a website or mobile app
- Copy the code snippet to your clipboard.
- Paste the snippet into the HTML of every page that should include the button before the closing tag.
To add the Message Us button to your Zendesk Guide help center
- In Guide, click Guide Admin at the top of the page, then the Customize design icon () in the sidebar.
- On the theme you want to edit, click Customize, then click Edit Code.
- In the Templates section, click the template you want to modify, and add the snippet before the template’s closing tag.
- Click Save.