Your agents reply to customer tickets by adding comments to them. They can do this either through the Zendesk Support web interface, or by responding to the ticket using email.
You can configure ticket comments in one of two ways:
- Public: Ticket comments can be seen by the customer. Public comments are written on the Public reply tab of the ticket comments field.
- Private: Private comments (known as internal notes) can be seen by agents, but cannot be seen by the customer. These are great for discussing tickets internally in the team without having to involve the customer. Internal comments are written on the Internal note tab of the ticket comments field.
By default, your comments are public and you have to click the Internal note tab to write a private comment. If you forget to select this tab, the customer will see any comment you write.
If you prefer, you can configure ticket comments to be private by default. If you configure this, you'll need to click the Public reply tab above the ticket comments field if you want the comment to be seen by your customers.
To configure public ticket comments as the default
- In the Zendesk Support sidebar, click the Admin icon ().
- From the admin menu, click Settings > Tickets.
- On the Tickets page, deselect Agent comments via web are public by default and Agent comments via email are public by default.