End users are the users who request support, also known as your customers. They interact with Zendesk and submit tickets. Regardless of the channel your customers use to request support, each customer must have an account. An end user's account contains both required and optional information.
Adding end users
There are many ways users can be added. They can add themselves by submitting a support request or agents and administrators can add them manually. If you are an administrator you can add several users at once using bulk import or add users via the Zendesk API. See Bulk importing users and Importing users with the Zendesk API.
This section will instruct you on how to add end-users by creating new user accounts in Zendesk Support. Both agents and administrators can perform this action. You might use this for example, if you're on the telephone with a customer who has never before requested support and therefore doesn't have an account. By creating a user account, you can then follow-up with an email.
There are additional end-user registration settings you can set, such as access to your Help Center, email verification, and support request settings. See Managing end-user settings for more information.
- Hover over the +Add tab in the top toolbar, then select User.
- Enter the user's Name and Email, then click the Role drop-down and select End-user.
- Click Save.
You can add additional information to the user's profile after clicking Save.
- When the user's profile opens, enter the user's information (described below).
Note: On Essential, the user data options are limited to Role, Email, Contacts, Details, and Notes.
Viewing a user's profile in Zendesk Support
You can view an end-user's profile either in Zendesk Support or Help Center. For information on viewing your own user profile, see Viewing your Zendesk Support user profile. For information on viewing a user's profile in Help Center, see Viewing user profiles from Help Center.
- Open a user's profile using one of the following methods in Zendesk Support:
- Click the Search icon () in the sidebar, then search for the end-user you want to edit.
- Click the tab for the ticket requester's profile in a ticket.
- Click through the different tabs on the main window to view the following information:
- Click the + New Ticket button next to the user's name at the top right of the profile to create a new ticket on their behalf or the down arrow to perform actions such as merging, suspending, deleting, or assuming the identity of the user.
- View and edit user details on the left side of your profile. Below are the default user fields shown. If you have additional Zendesk Support features or have created custom fields, they will be included in the user details panel as well (see Adding custom fields to users).
User data Description Role Defines the user's function and access level. There are three user types: End-user, Agent, Administrator. By default, all new users are set to end-users. Agents can only add end-users. Only administrators can change a user's role. AccessImportant: There are organization access settings in the user profile and in the organization itself. If the settings are in conflict, the more permissive setting overrides the less permissive setting.
View and edit own tickets only, meaning users can only see and comment on tickets where they are the requester.
Note: If you chose this setting, but the org setting gives users in the org access to all tickets, this user setting will be overridden by the org setting.
Can view tickets from user's org, meaning user can see (but not comment on) all tickets in their organization.
Note: If you chose this setting, and the org setting restricts access for users in the org to their own tickets only, this user setting will override the org setting.
This is the email address you added for the end-user. The email address must be unique to the end-user. You cannot use a duplicate email address. Contacts You can also add additional contact information for users using the Add contacts link. See Adding user contact information. Tags List of tags you want automatically added to new tickets created by the end-user. Separate tags with a space. Tags are added to new tickets only, not updated tickets. This is an optional feature and you might not have enabled user tagging. See Adding tags to users and organizations. Organization If you use organizations, and you want to add this end-user to one, click Add organization, then enter the name of the organization. Click Add organization again if you'd like to add this user to multiple organizations (see Enabling multiple organizations for users).
On the Team plan, users can belong to only one organization. On Professional and Enterprise, users can belong to multiple organizations, up to 300. A user does not have to belong to any organization, however.
If your administrator has set up user mapping, which automatically adds new users to an organization based on their email domain, you can leave this blank.
Language Language the user will view your instance of Zendesk Support in. This setting affects this user only. The end-user's Help Center will appear in the selected language and some system messages and email notifications may also be in the selected language. Time zone The end-user's local time zone; used to time stamp tickets submitted by this user. This setting affects this user only. Details Additional details about the end-user. Address, for example. Details are visible to agents only, not end-users. Notes Any notes about the end-user. Notes are visible to agents only, not end-users.
- View and edit own tickets only, meaning users can only see and comment on tickets where they are the requester.
In Zendesk Support, you can make edits to a user's profile, including editing their user profile details, adding or editing user contact information, and more. You can suspend, delete, or assume the identity of the user.
- Navigate to a user's profile in Zendesk Support (see Viewing a user's profile in Zendesk Support).
- Click the user's name to enter a new profile name.
- Click the down arrow next to the +New ticket button at the top right of the profile to merge, suspend, delete, or assume the identity of the user.
- To edit a user's details, click the field box you would like to edit. You can also add user's contact information from this location.
For details of the default user fields, see the table in the previous section.
For information about deleting users, see Deleting users.
Adding user contact information
A user account can contain multiple types of contact information, including email, phone, and social media accounts.
A user account can contain multiple email addresses. Each time you add an email address, a verification email is sent to that address and must be confirmed before the email address is valid. One email address is set as the primary, which means that notifications are sent to that address. You can change the primary email address to any of the other verified email addresses.
You can also add multiple phone numbers, Google accounts, and Twitter accounts. Note that you can only add one Facebook account.
- Navigate to the user's profile in Zendesk Support (see Viewing a user's profile in Zendesk Support).
- In the user's profile, click Add contact and select the type of contact you want to add, then enter the contact information in the field that appears.
- Repeat as needed.
- When you are finished, you can close the user's profile by navigating away from it.
To delete a user's contact information
- In the user's profile, click the arrow next to contact information box, then select Remove from the drop-down list.
- In the user's profile, click the email address and select Resend verification email or Verify now.