When you enable call recording in Talk, all calls are recorded by default and attached to the Support ticket associated with the call. You can, however turn off recording for any number or give callers the ability to opt-in or opt-out of call recording. Use this article to learn how to set up call recording.
This article contains the following topics:
Understanding call recording
Whenever a ticket is created for a phone call and the Always record calls option is enabled for that number (a Talk number or an external number), Talk records the call.
What is recorded?
- Calls answered by an agent via the web browser or on an agent forwarding number
- Calls transferred to an external phone number by an agent (unless Stop call recording after transfer is enabled)
What is not recorded?
- The portion of the call while the user is on hold and waiting for an agent to become available
- Any consultation, usually before transferring a call to another party (warm transfers)
- A call which routes to an IVR phone tree branch that directs the call to an external phone number (Talk Professional and Enterprise). Not applicable to digital lines.
- When an agent pauses the call recording (Talk Professional and Enterprise)
- The caller opts-out of the call recording (Talk Professional and Enterprise). Not applicable to digital lines.
Configuring call recording options
You configure call recording settings for each number individually. The available options will depend on the line type you are configuring.
To enable call recording and configure options
- In Zendesk Support, click the Admin icon in the sidebar () , then select Channels > Talk.
- On the Talk page, click the Lines tab.
- Click the line you want to configure.
- On the number settings page, click the Call recording tab.
- Configure the following options as required:
Call recording and consent: Configures call recording opt-in or opt-out permissions for callers. This works with both group routing and IVR routing.
- Always record calls (all): All inbound and outbound calls are recorded.
- Caller must opt--in (inbound only): Inbound calls are recorded if the caller opts-in by pressing 3. Outbound calls are not recorded. Not applicable to digital lines.
- Caller must opt-out (inbound only): Inbound calls are recorded unless the caller opts-out by pressing 3. Outbound calls are recorded. Not applicable to digital lines.
- Do not record calls (all): No inbound or outbound calls are recorded.
For more information about call recording opt-in and opt-out, see Understanding call recording permissions (opt-in and opt-out).
Record greeting: If call recording opt-in or opt-out is enabled, choose the greeting that will be played to callers. You can add a custom greeting from the Call recording category in the Greetings tab of the Talk settings page. Make sure the greeting informs the caller how they can opt-in or opt-out. Not applicable to digital lines.
Note: This greeting is played when you use group routing. If you are using IVR routing, you'll need to record a separate IVR greeting. For details, see Understanding call recording opt-in and opt-out.
- Allow agents to control call recording: Enable agents to pause and resume Talk call recordings. (for Talk numbers or external numbers). For details, see Pausing and resuming call recordings with agent recording controls.
- Stop call recording after transfer: When call recording is enabled for a number (for Talk numbers or external numbers), enable this setting if you want call recordings to stop when a call is transferred to an external number when using group routing.
- Automatic deletion: From the drop-down list, choose the length of time you want to keep call recordings or choose Never to keep them indefinitely.
- Call recording and consent: Configures call recording opt-in or opt-out permissions for callers. This works with both group routing and IVR routing.
- Click Save changes.
Talk number recording configuration
External number recording configuration
Digital line recording configuration
Configuring customer access to call recordings
You can configure Talk to allow or block customers from listening to the call recording associated with their ticket. If you enable this setting, it will apply to calls received from all of your Talk phone numbers.
To determine whether customers can listed to call recordings
- Click the Admin icon () in the sidebar, then select Channels > Talk.
- On the Settings tab of the Talk page, enable or disable the New live call recordings are public? option.
- Click Save.
Deleting call recordings from tickets
To delete a recording from a ticket
- In Zendesk Support, open a ticket.
- In the conversation area of the ticket, locate the call recording, then click delete recording.
- In the Confirm box, click OK to confirm you really want to delete the recording.
The recording is deleted and replaced by "recording not available".
Downloading call recordings
If you want to download Talk recordings and access them offline, use the Zendesk Download Recordings app.
The features of this app include:
- Download all inbound and outbound calls as well as voicemails with a single click
- Original ticket information like caller name, phone number, date and time
- Download recordings in all browsers supported by Zendesk (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Edge)
- Audio playback
- Manage access by role and groups
For full details about the app and how to install it, see the Download Recordings app page in our app directory.