By default knowledge base sections are visible to all users. You can prevent some users from viewing the content of certain sections by configuring a section so that only only signed-in users can view it. The ability to restrict sections to signed-in users only is available on all Guide plans.
On Guide Professional and Enterprise, you have the ability to restrict access based on tags, organizations, or groups by applying custom user segments (see Creating user segments to restrict access). On Guide Professional and Enterprise, you can also restrict access to agents and managers to create internal-only access.
Access restrictions are set at the section level and cannot be set at the category level. You can combine public and restricted sections in the same category, but you can't combine public and private articles in the same section.
You must be a Guide Manager to set access restrictions for knowledge base sections. Viewing restrictions do not apply to Guide Managers. Managers can access all sections in the knowledge base, regardless of the restrictions.
To restrict access to a knowledge base section
- Navigate to the section in the knowledge base that you want to restrict.
Access restrictions are set at the section level and cannot be set at the category level. To restrict access to a category, you must apply a user segment to each section in the category.
- Click Edit section in the top menu bar.
- Select a User segment to determine who can access this section.
On Guide Lite, you can chose to restrict access to signed-in users.On Guide Professional or Enterprise, you can chose to:
- Restrict access to signed-in users
- Restrict access to agents and managers to create internal-only access
- Restrict access based on tags, organizations, or groups by applying a custom user segment (see Creating user segments to restrict access to create user segments)
- Click Update.
To set access restrictions in the community, see Applying user segments to restrict access to community content.