The Zendesk for Jira integration allows Jira issues to be sorted by the number of Zendesk tickets linked to each issue. This can help your developers prioritize their work, by elevating Jira issues that have a larger number of customers asking for a specific feature, or reporting the same bug.
For information about ticket linking, see Creating a link to an existing Jira issue from a ticket.
This article includes the following information:
Setting up linked tickets reporting in Jira
The linked tickets reporting feature allows you to keep track of the number of Zendesk tickets linked to each Jira issue and their IDs.
To enable this feature, custom fields need to be added to your Jira projects. The setup process requires a Jira administrator to create one or both of these custom fields:
- A text field, for the list of Zendesk ticket IDs
- A number field, to count the number of ticket IDs
Then, the administrator needs to add one or both of these fields to the screens of the Jira projects.
After completing the setup:
- When a Zendesk ticket is linked to a Jira issue, the Zendesk Ticket Count field is incremented by one, and its ID is appended to the Zendesk Ticket IDs field.
- When a Zendesk ticket is unlinked from a Jira issue, the Zendesk Ticket Count field is decreased by one and its ID is deleted from the Zendesk Ticket IDs field.
Each of these custom fields can be used independently of the other.
To set up the linked tickets reporting feature
- In Jira, click the Settings (cog) icon on the left side panel, and select Issues.
- On the Issues admin page, select Fields > Custom fields from the left-side panel.
- On the Custom fields page, click Add custom field in the upper right corner.
- On the field type selection page, click Text field (multi-line), then click Next.
- On the text field configuration page, enter a name and description for the text field. Note that the names of these two fields need to match precisely how they are written in this article:
- Name: Zendesk Ticket IDs
- Description: Holds list of Zendesk IDs of tickets related to Jira issue in a comma-separated string.
- Click Create.
- On the next page, use the checkboxes to select which screens the text field should appear on, and click Update.
- Click Add custom field in the upper right corner.
- On the field type selection page, select Number Field, then click Next.
- On the number field configuration page, enter a name and description for the number field.
- Name: Zendesk Ticket Count
- Description: Number of Zendesk tickets linked to Jira issue
- Click Create.
- Again, on the field association page, use the checkboxes to select the screens the number field should appear on, and click Update.
- Confirm the fields are displayed on the correct screens.