All administrators and agents using Zendesk Chat are assigned roles that allow or restrict the Chat-related tasks they can perform.
There are two types of roles:
- Default roles, which are defined by Zendesk, and discussed in this article.
- Custom roles (Enterprise only), which are defined by your account administrator. You can find more information on custom Chat roles in Creating custom Chat roles and assigning permissions.
This article contains the following topics:
About Chat default roles
Chat default roles include:
- Account owner: The person who set up the account. In addition to agent and administrator privileges, the account owner can access the account management page, where they can upgrade or downgrade the account's plan, change billing information, access invoices, and cancel the account. Account owner permissions cannot be modified.
- Administrator: In addition to regular agent privileges, administrators can edit settings under Settings> Widgetand Account, as well as manage agents, triggers, and departments. They can delete chats from History. For Professional and Enterprise accounts, they can also use Analytics. Administrator permissions cannot be modified.
- Agent: Agents can create shortcuts, ban visitors, and view past chats in History. If you are using custom roles, you can assign them to agents (see Assigning custom roles to agents).
How these roles are assigned and used is determined by how you use Zendesk Chat:
Integrated Chat accounts (those that are using both Zendesk Chat and Support) need to consider their agents’ Support roles when assigning Chat roles: An agent must be an administrator in both Chat and Support, or an administrator in neither. However, accounts on an Enterprise Chat or Support plan can create custom roles with certain administrative privileges in the respective products, and assign them to non-admin agents. For information on roles in integrated accounts, see Setting up Zendesk Chat in Zendesk Support.
Chat-only accounts can assign roles as needed, even if they are also Zendesk Support customers - as long as their Chat and Support accounts are not linked together.
See Using Chat default roles, below, for information on working with default roles based on your Chat account version.
Using Chat default roles
Roles are listed and accessed from the Chat dashboard, on the Roles page, by going to Settings > Roles.
You can view a roles details by going to the Roles page and clicking the role you want to view.
See the following articles for more information: