Previous articles like Using the 'About' field have discussed the importance and impact custom fields have on workflow. This article will detail one custom field, the 'Resolution' field. The Resolution field is not a system field, so you will need to create a custom field. For more information about custom fields, see About custom field types .
This article contains the following sections:
What is the Resolution field?
Zendesk Support's About field is used to identify what type of request agents will be assisting with, but Zendesk Support's Resolution field is used to track how tickets are resolved and what type of action was necessary to solve the ticket. The Resolution field is not a required field by default, but you can set your own Resolution field as a required field. For more information see, Required ticket fields and automations .
Why fill out the Resolution field?
As a support organization, it's important to learn not only what types of tickets are opened, but also to learn how current teams are working to resolve tickets with end-users. When our customer service agents enter a value in the Resolution field after a ticket is solved, the field can be used to identify resource allocation and obtain an accurate idea of how our customer service team is functioning on a daily basis.
The information obtained from the Resolution field is beneficial to review as it illustrates the skills teams utilize and how workforces are working.
The Resolution field can also be used with the About field to provide useful information for managers and teams about areas that can be improved. These two fields provide a great feedback loop to show the full life story of the ticket.
How do I use the Resolution field?
After your agents have solved a ticket, they can select a broad value like the ones used below to categorize the types of resolutions.
- User Education - Did agents provide best practice information? Answer How-To Questions? Provide setup guidance?
- User Error - Did we provide guidance to help a customer correct a mistake?
- Code Fix - Did we create a new code to resolve this issue?
- Operations Fix - Did we partner with our Operations team to release fix or recover data?
- Finance Ops Fix - Or partner with another team for billing assistance?
- Sale/Upsell - Did the solution involve a change in the user's current subscription?
- Documentation fix - Did we need to create new or update existing documentation?
- Custom solution - Did we build or provide a custom script/widget/app/solution?
- Other Internal Dept - Did we build or provide a custom script/widget/app/solution?
- Third party - Did we partner with GoodData, Twilio etc. to come to resolution?
I have established Resolution fields in our organization. We also use the Problem/Incident feature to solve the Incidents linked to a Problem ticket. At this time, only the comment and status of the problem are included in the incidents. How can I automate the update of the resolution fields in the Incident from the Problem?
As it turns out, this functionality is not natively available. This can be possible if a script will be created that will leverage the List Ticket and Update Ticket API so that the values for the Resolution field in the Problem ticket can be used for the Incident ticket. Creating such customized workflow is not supported.
There can also be some users here who can share their similar workflow.
Please sign in to leave a comment.