When you contact Zendesk Customer Support, Zendesk must verify that the person who contacts the team is registered in the account they're asking about. This article describes the Zendesk policy on identity verification. Topics include:
- The Zendesk policy for contacting the support team
- Owner or admin authorization
- Using distribution lists, aliases, or group emails
Contacting Zendesk Customer Support
The Main Subscription Agreement of Zendesk states that support is limited to registered agents of accounts. For assistance with account-related information, if the email you are using to contact support isn't listed as an agent of your account, Zendesk support agents won't be able to provide the right help. Also, contacting the Zendesk support team using the support email address your customers use to reach out to you is not allowed either.
To find out which email address is registered
- Sign in to your Zendesk account.
- Click your profile icon in the upper-right corner of the page header, then select View profile.
- On the left-hand side panel, scroll down and locate your Primary email address.
Use this email address to contact Zendesk Customer Support.
- If you use more than one email address to contact Zendesk, add your alternate email as a secondary address in your profile by clicking + add contact.
Important: Your profile should only contain email addresses that belong to you. Sharing a license violates the terms of Zendesk's Main Subscription Agreement.
To change the email address registered in your account, watch the video below.
Owner or admin authorization required
There are also many scenarios in which Zendesk requires an admin or account owner to provide written authorization for account-related information. In these instances, Zendesk must communicate directly with admins or owners via the email address in their profile.
For information about finding the owner of your Zendesk account, see Who is the owner of my account?
Using distribution lists, aliases, or group emails
The primary email address registered in your account has to be a reachable email address. Using a distribution list, an alias, your Zendesk support address, or a group email doesn't allow you to reply to Zendesk notifications. To expedite your request and prevent the need for added identity verification with Zendesk support agents, the email address in your profile must be a dedicated email inbox.