After you've enabled and configured Talk, you need to give your agents access. On Enterprise plans, you use custom roles to configure access to Talk and the Talk dashboard for multiple users simultaneously. If you're not using an Enterprise plan, or if you want to configure settings for individual users, you configure access to Talk from the Team members page in Admin Center.
Currently, you can manage Talk access for one user at a time.
Giving access to Talk (non-Enterprise plans)
If you're not using an Enterprise plan, you configure access to Talk from the Team members page in Admin Center.
To manage access to Talk (non-enterprise plans)
- In Admin Center, click People in the sidebar, then select Team > Team members.
- On the Team members page, click the user you want to grant access to Talk. The user you choose must have the User type of Staff member.
- In the Talk section of the page, enable the Access checkbox. If you don't enable this checkbox, the user cannot access Talk.
- From the Role dropdown, choose one of the following Talk roles for this
- Admin: An admin can manage all Talk settings found in Admin Center under Channels > Talk, but cannot make or receive calls.
- Team lead: A team lead is a Talk admin who can also make or receive calls.
- Agent: The agent will be the role you'll typically give. Agents can make or receive calls only.
The Talk Admin role does not consume a seat when used in conjunction with a free Support seat such as Contributor or Light agent.
- When you are finished, click Save.
The agent now has access to Talk with the permissions you configured.
Giving access to Talk (Enterprise plans)
If you're on an Enterprise plan, you can use custom roles to more efficiently configure access to Talk settings and the Talk dashboard by role, insead of by individual user. Support admins can manage Talk settings and view the dashboard, regardless of their Talk role.
To manage access to Talk (Enterprise plans)
- In Admin Center, click People in the sidebar, then select Team > Roles.
- Hover over the role for which you want to configure Talk access, click the
option menu icon () and select Edit.
A detailed view of the custom role's settings is displayed. A list of users assigned to the role is also visible in a panel on the right.
- Configure the following settings as required:
- When you're finished, click Save.