To create the optimal conversation flow for your agents, you can use layout builder to configure how conversations and the composer appear in a custom ticket layout. You must have an Enterprise plan with the Zendesk Agent Workspace activated to make these changes.
This article includes these sections:
About configuring ticket conversations
By default, the ticket interface in the Zendesk Agent Workspace shows the newest comments at the bottom of the ticket conversation, followed by a composer for entering new comments. This layout is useful for live conversations such as messaging and chat, but you might prefer a different layout for your agents, suited to their unique workflows.
When you create a custom layout, you can:
- Change the order of comments that appear in a ticket.
- Change the position of the composer.
- Collapse (or expand) the composer window by default in a ticket.
Because these settings are part of custom ticket layouts, you can configure different settings for each ticket layout. For example, if you have a layout that’s used mainly for messaging tickets, you can have the configuration settings that work well for a typical messaging conversation. If you have a layout that’s used mainly for email tickets, you can have configuration settings that work well for a typical email conversation.
Changing conversation and composer settings
The changes you make to a custom layout will apply to all tickets that use the layout.
To change the conversation flow
- Open a layout for editing. See Editing a layout for details.
The layout builder appears.
- Click Customize layout to make changes to your layout.
- Select the conversation pane in the ticket layout.
The conversation settings appear in the Customization area of the layout builder.
- Select the Conversation order.
You can choose between Newest messages at the bottom or Newest messages at the top.
- Select the Composer position.
You can set the composer to appear Below the conversation or Above the conversation.
- Select a default for collapsing or expanding the composer window:
- To see more of the conversation when you open a ticket, select Collapse by default. When selected, the composer window is collapsed by default when agents open tickets.
- If you want the composer window expanded by default, deselect this option.
Agents can expand or collapse the composer as needed within each ticket. When an agent expands the composer, it includes any resizing changes the agent made previously.
- Save your layout changes.